Setting up Bank of Montreal in Quicken Canada

Andrew Sibbald
Andrew Sibbald Member
I am using the software to track my mother's accounts. I am attempting to set up her bank accounts with the Bank of Montreal, but the account and online password are being rejected. Does the software include the name of the licensed user with the account number and password as part of the verification process?
Tagged:

Comments

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, authentication only includes user ID and PW. You mention Canada, but do not state if you are also in Canada. Not sure that actually matters, but could be a possible issue as there is a US and Canadian version.
  • I am in Canada and using the Canadian version of Quicken, to connect to a Canadian bank!
  • So thanks for your answer, but it is possible there is a difference in the versions. Banking is a little different in Canada.
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You will need to provide the exact error conditions you are experiencing, then we may be able to assist further.
  • I tried accessing my own accounts, and that didn't work either. So, perhaps there is another issue, like how I am composing the bank account number.

I choose chequing account | BMO Bank of Montreal.
    I enter the last ten digits of the bank account number. The "Bank Account number" is composed of the last three digits of the branch number then the seven digits of the account number. (Note that I also tried the last 10 digits of the bank card, and just the seven digits of the bank account on their own.)
    I enter the six character password used online or in the app.
    I receive error meaage CC-503 suggesting that I miscomposed the password. 

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I enter the last ten digits of the bank account number. The "Bank Account number" is composed of the last three digits of the branch number then the seven digits of the account number. (Note that I also tried the last 10 digits of the bank card, and just the seven digits of the bank account on their own.)
    At some point, I don't remember when, my 10-digit account number at Bank of America gained 2 leading zeros to become 12 digits. Maybe you need more digits. (I know nothing about Canadian banking, but it might work.)

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• In Canada, each bank has a 3 digit number, then each branch has a 5-digit transit number identifying it within the bank.
    I will try 12 digits (which makes more sense),  i.e. the transit plus the account number (7 digits), and report back. It will be a couple of hours until I can try again.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    "In Canada, each bank has a 3 digit number, then each branch has a 5-digit transit number identifying it within the bank."
    I can confirm that much.  Canada has so many fewer banks than does the US, that their R/T numbers are in a 3-5 (plus check digit) format, as opposed to the US' 4-4 (plus check digit) format.
    Because of that difference in format, we were able to spot a Cdn check simply by looking at position 4 (from the left) of the R/T number.  If that position held a "-", it was a Cdn check.
    BUT, in Q, the R/T number and the account number go into different fields.  If you're trying to combine those to fields into a single field, it's unlikely to work.  Your BANK (aka R/T) number is surrounded (at the bottom of your checks) with a bar followed by something that looks like a colon (|:) (although on the checks the bar isn't split in 2).
    Your account number field is 2 vertical bars followed by a HIGH rectangle.  This symbol MIGHT also close out your account field.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    [edit] - changed topic title - and flagged to move to Quicken Canada forum area

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Thank-you for transferring the topic, ps56k.
    I tried the 12 digits. Failed.
    The online app gives 11 digits, dropping the last of the bank transit numbers. I use that.
    I tried the 11 digits. Failed.
    I use the last 10 digits. Failed.
    I'm giving up. I remember now that I was never able to connect up a bank account with Quickbooks, either.
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Needn't give up so soon. If you are using a current Canadian version of Quicken, there is no reason you should not be able to get the bank connection established. There are a few Canadian users that can assist, or if we cannot resolve, you can contact support.
    This article addresses the error you are getting.

• Thanks, GeoffG. It is bizarre. Best to leave it to fresh day.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Andrew Sibbald said:I am attempting to set up her bank accounts with the Bank of Montreal, but the account and online password are being rejected.
    Can you acces the bank online website - and log into the account ?
    If so, then I would guess you would walk thru the Quicken ADD account, and select the  Bank of Montreal, and enter your online User ID used to access the bank website.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

This discussion has been closed.