I am ready to quit Quicken 2007

I am ready to quit Quicken 2007 for Mac. I don't need my accounts on the internet. What should I use that has check printing capabilities ?

Best Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    @Katy3 As noted in your other thread, your old Quicken 2007 will continue to work on the current macOS -- but it's good to be forward looking since it hasn't been updated for years, isn't supported, and won't run on the next macOS.

You certainly can upgrade to the current Quicken 2019. It's sold as a subscription you need to pay for annually, BUT if you aren't using any of Quicken's online services and are entering all your transactions manually, you could simply purchase a one-year subscription of Quicken Deluxe (not Quicken Starter) and then let the subscription lapse after year. The program will keep working; it will bug you to renew, but you can keep using it indefinitely -- just as you've been using Quicken 2007 -- without any online services. You can enter transactions, print reports, and print checks.

Since this is Quicken's forum, they don't allow discussion of alternate/competing products here -- so if you're determined to leave Quicken, you'll need to find other sites online to get information about other products. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Also consider the following:
    You have 2 choices: Buy the subscription to Quicken for Mac or continue to use the Quicken 2007 Lion Compatible version.

I suggest that you make sure that the subscription for Quicken for Mac will meet your needs, since it is not an upgrade from QM2007 but rather from Quicken Essentials (which was re-written from the ground up, starting in 2010, then continued with QM2015 onward), so there are some features that are still not there e.g. full loan amortization*, 2-line display, QuickMath, or are not as fully developed yet, e.g. Customized Reports, performance reports and stats (therefore some data may not carry over). You can start here:

*NOTE: Support for fixed rate loans has been released as of  QM2017 v4.5.x but there is no announced timing for support for variable rate or simple daily interest loans.

Currently, the main advantages of subscription to Quicken for Mac over QM2007 include the ability to sync cash, bank, and credit card accounts using Quicken Mobile for mobile devices (iOS and Android) and the ability to save receipts with transactions via computer or mobile device. There are a few other minor features that QM2007 does not have. Note that online access is supposed to continue as long as the FI/Bank supports it and their security updates don't prevent it.

Please note that Quicken for Mac is now a subscription-based product currently available for 1 year directly from Quicken or 2 yrs from retailers (which are often cheaper than Quicken). (If you are able to find QM2017 which is a pre-subscription product, it is supported until April 2020), whereas currently QM2007 will continue to work as long as your FIs/Banks support it, so keep that in mind. 

Add your vote to any features that are missing for you. Your VOTES matter!

Be aware of data that will and will not carry forward: 
    Then look at the updates since the original release here:
    You will also want to look at a more detailed comparison done by a SuperUser which also identifies nuances not mentioned elsewhere (and read on for comments from other users too on that same discussion thread): 
    Take a look at the following videos to give you a better idea:

Note that there are many differences that are rather subtle, that are not necessarily identifiable via documentation, for example, the 12-month budget feature does not allow including transfers, including investment income, selecting specific accounts, etc.

If you find that subscription to Quicken for Mac does not meet your needs, the alternative is to obtain and run QM2007 Lion Compatible (LC), which will run on Mac OS X 10.6.8 to 10.14 Mojave (so far*), though be aware that is probably will stop working on the next version of macOS in the Fall of 2019 (the alternative would be to use a virtual machine). 

(Reports show that QM2007 works on High Sierra but automatic backups do not seem to work, at least when using the new APFS drive format... but is ok with the HFS+ (Mac OS Extended) format on the boot drive only, NOT on external drives)

* You may also want to follow the discussion Is Quicken for Mac 2007 Compatible with Mojave (macOS 10.14)?
    (Hint: Same results as with High Sierra, macOS 10.13)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Katy3
    Katy3 Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Jacobs - Thank you - I will look into Quicken Deluxe - that sounds like what I need.
  • Katy3
    Katy3 Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    @jacobs - Are you saying to get Quicken Deluxe 2019?
    I don't find any Quicken Deluxe - Thanks,

Answers

• jacobs
    Answer ✓
    @Katy3 As noted in your other thread, your old Quicken 2007 will continue to work on the current macOS -- but it's good to be forward looking since it hasn't been updated for years, isn't supported, and won't run on the next macOS.

You certainly can upgrade to the current Quicken 2019. It's sold as a subscription you need to pay for annually, BUT if you aren't using any of Quicken's online services and are entering all your transactions manually, you could simply purchase a one-year subscription of Quicken Deluxe (not Quicken Starter) and then let the subscription lapse after year. The program will keep working; it will bug you to renew, but you can keep using it indefinitely -- just as you've been using Quicken 2007 -- without any online services. You can enter transactions, print reports, and print checks.

Since this is Quicken's forum, they don't allow discussion of alternate/competing products here -- so if you're determined to leave Quicken, you'll need to find other sites online to get information about other products. 
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Also consider the following:
    You have 2 choices: Buy the subscription to Quicken for Mac or continue to use the Quicken 2007 Lion Compatible version.

I suggest that you make sure that the subscription for Quicken for Mac will meet your needs, since it is not an upgrade from QM2007 but rather from Quicken Essentials (which was re-written from the ground up, starting in 2010, then continued with QM2015 onward), so there are some features that are still not there e.g. full loan amortization*, 2-line display, QuickMath, or are not as fully developed yet, e.g. Customized Reports, performance reports and stats (therefore some data may not carry over). You can start here:

*NOTE: Support for fixed rate loans has been released as of  QM2017 v4.5.x but there is no announced timing for support for variable rate or simple daily interest loans.

Currently, the main advantages of subscription to Quicken for Mac over QM2007 include the ability to sync cash, bank, and credit card accounts using Quicken Mobile for mobile devices (iOS and Android) and the ability to save receipts with transactions via computer or mobile device. There are a few other minor features that QM2007 does not have. Note that online access is supposed to continue as long as the FI/Bank supports it and their security updates don't prevent it.

Please note that Quicken for Mac is now a subscription-based product currently available for 1 year directly from Quicken or 2 yrs from retailers (which are often cheaper than Quicken). (If you are able to find QM2017 which is a pre-subscription product, it is supported until April 2020), whereas currently QM2007 will continue to work as long as your FIs/Banks support it, so keep that in mind. 

Add your vote to any features that are missing for you. Your VOTES matter!

Be aware of data that will and will not carry forward: 
    Then look at the updates since the original release here:
    You will also want to look at a more detailed comparison done by a SuperUser which also identifies nuances not mentioned elsewhere (and read on for comments from other users too on that same discussion thread): 
    Take a look at the following videos to give you a better idea:

Note that there are many differences that are rather subtle, that are not necessarily identifiable via documentation, for example, the 12-month budget feature does not allow including transfers, including investment income, selecting specific accounts, etc.

If you find that subscription to Quicken for Mac does not meet your needs, the alternative is to obtain and run QM2007 Lion Compatible (LC), which will run on Mac OS X 10.6.8 to 10.14 Mojave (so far*), though be aware that is probably will stop working on the next version of macOS in the Fall of 2019 (the alternative would be to use a virtual machine). 

(Reports show that QM2007 works on High Sierra but automatic backups do not seem to work, at least when using the new APFS drive format... but is ok with the HFS+ (Mac OS Extended) format on the boot drive only, NOT on external drives)

* You may also want to follow the discussion Is Quicken for Mac 2007 Compatible with Mojave (macOS 10.14)?
    (Hint: Same results as with High Sierra, macOS 10.13)

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• Katy3
    Katy3 Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Jacobs - Thank you - I will look into Quicken Deluxe - that sounds like what I need.
  • Katy3
    Katy3 Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    @jacobs - Are you saying to get Quicken Deluxe 2019?
    I don't find any Quicken Deluxe - Thanks,
  • Katy3
    Katy3 Member ✭✭
    @jacobs Thank you for your excellent information ! I really appreciate your help. Help I can understand :) I'm in the process of purchasing a new mac
    laptop and I don't think it will support my Quicken 2007 so I will keep using my
    7 1/2 yr. old mac desktop till it conks out because I can use the Q2007.
  • jsurpless
    jsurpless Member ✭✭
    > @jacobs said:
    > On Quicken.com, I see Quicken Deluxe being offered for $44.99 for one year or $69.99 for two years. On Amazon, I'm seeing $54.99 for 14 months, which is not a better deal. But these prices tend to fluctuate frequently, so you may find something different.

I'm not seeing this option on Quicken.com?

> If you find a download of Quicken 2018 available, you can get that, too. 2018 was the start of the subscription process, so if you download Quicken 2018, the first thing it will do when you install it is download the very latest version -- voila, you'll be on Quicken 2019! On Amazon, for instance, I see a Quicken Deluxe 2018 DVD version that's a 2-year subscription for $53.48. That's a good deal -- BUT only if you have a DVD drive available. Since most modern Macs don't have a DVD drive anymore, make sure you don't buy a DVD version unless you have an available DVD drive!

So, just to confirm, I'm not actually buying Quicken 2018 Deluxe but rather a 2-yr subscription that will get added on to whatever my current subscription is? Since mine expires May 2020, it would be extended to May 2022, right?
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Katy3 said:
    ... I'm in the process of purchasing a new mac laptop and I don't think it will support my Quicken 2007 so I will keep using my 7 1/2 yr. old mac desktop till it conks out because I can use the Q2007.
    As was established in your other thread here, you stated you have QM2007 16.2.4. That version WILL run on the latest Macs as long as you buy them before the next version of macOS is released. The only thing that does not work is the automatic backup (so you simply have to turn off that feature--there are workarounds but that is likely more than you need to know at this time).

• jacobs
    @Katy3 If you get a new Mac now (or in the next two months), it will come with macOS Mojave (10.14) installed, and as mentioned above, that WILL support Quicken 2007. For now. As discussed, Quicken 2007 is old and occasionally problem-prone; it's no longer updated and unsupported. It may be suitable for you to continue to use for another year or two, but for most Quicken 2007 users, migrating to the modern Quicken Mac is inevitable and just a matter of time. Whether this is the right time for you to move on or not depends on what features of Quicken Mac you use, and is nothing anyone here can answer definitively for you; trying out Quicken 2019 and seeing how well it works for you is the only way to know whether it will meet your needs. 

@jsurpless The pricing of Quicken, from both Quicken itself and on Amazon, fluctuates all the time. Quicken.com always offers 1- or 2-year subscriptions; Amazon sometimes has the lengths, as well as it's exclusive 14-month subscription term. If you're not in immediate need, shop around and purchase when you find favorable pricing.
    So, just to confirm, I'm not actually buying Quicken 2018 Deluxe but rather a 2-yr subscription that will get added on to whatever my current subscription is? Since mine expires May 2020, it would be extended to May 2022, right?
    Yes and no. Yes, subscriptions you purchase get added on to existing subscriptions., if you are already on a subscription,. (If you are using Quicken 2017, a new Quicken subscription replaces that, and does not add onto the Quicken 2017 expiration date.) Quicken doesn't sell them to you until you are within 6 months of your subscription expiring. If you purchase on Amazon (or elsewhere), there is an expiration date on applying the subscription code, so you can't go out and buy a few Quicken subscription terms, when you find a good price, and stack them one after the other. 

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    jacobs said:
    ... subscriptions you purchase get added on to existing subscriptions., if you are already on a subscription,. (If you are using Quicken 2017, a new Quicken subscription replaces that, and does not add onto the Quicken 2017 expiration date.) Quicken doesn't sell them to you until you are within 6 months of your subscription expiring. If you purchase on Amazon (or elsewhere), there is an expiration date on applying the subscription code, so you can't go out and buy a few Quicken subscription terms, when you find a good price, and stack them one after the other. 

Actually, if you purchase a subscription labeled for 2018 from third parties, the activation codes does NOT expire; only if you buy ones labeled 2019 do they expire within 2 years of the original printed date.

Also, ANY activation code (purchased from third parties) cannot be added to an existing subscription until you are within 6 months of the current expiration. So though you can pre-purchase activation codes, you can only apply one at a time as the subscription approaches the 6 month window to expiration. 

Of course, if you try to purchase a renewal from directly Quicken, they cannot make a purchase and renew your membership until you are within the 6 month window, since they apply any purchase immediately. 

Also an aside for future reference, currently, if you have a subscription membership that has expired for more than 30 days, Quicken treats you as a new member. As such one could qualify for any promos targeted to "new" subscription memberships.

This discussion has been closed.