Why does Quicken Deluxe 2019 for Windows occasionally dramatically misrepresent my investments?

I have had this problem with older versions of Quicken. I have been using the latest version for about 6 months and it has been reporting perfectly until today. Please advise.

Best Answer

Answers

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could be wrong stray price per shares?

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    To answer this question, you need to do a little investigating to see which securities and/or accounts are causing the discrepancies.

One way to do this is to look at an Investing > Portfolio view that includes all your securities and all your accounts. You can use the bullt-in "Recent Performance" view or customize one.

Next to Group by, choose Accounts

Adjust the As of: date to find a date when things look right, then a date when they are wrong. What is different? 

A common problem is that a money market fund or some other security posts a share price of zero and thus the value of that fund goes to zero. A few days later it may start showing a price of $1.00 again and things will be OK.

Let us know what you see and we can help straighten things out.

QWin Premier subscription
  • DeaconMike
    DeaconMike Member
    Thanks for the detailed advice. When I followed your instructions, it compared the account in question from the last version of Quicken (2016) to the new version. I looked line by line and could not find the problem. I loaded the next most recent Quicken backup where the investment numbers were correct. I ran one step update again, and the numbers now agree with the source online. No clue what happened here.

This was a constant issue with Quicken 2016 and earlier, at least for me. It got to the point where i had 2 investments that were way off. I created two dummy accounts to correct for it. I hope I don't have to do that again.
  • DeaconMike
    DeaconMike Member
    Thanks again. I'm really impressed with your knowledge of Quicken. This item was checked. I'll work on this again. I was probably in too much of a hurry last night.
This discussion has been closed.