how do I enter a payment that is more than the invoice?

I received a payment for $20.00 more than the invoice.
Will apply it to next month's invoice.
tried adding the amount of the check, but it either upped the amount of the invoice or reverted the payment back to the original.
Tried doing a credit memo, but that doesn't show up for a bank deposit.
What else can I try?

Best Answer

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you're talking about recording a payment received from a customer into your Customer Invoices account register ...
    In the Customer Invoices account register just record a New Customer Payment for the full amount received and mark the outstanding invoice as paid.
    In my test file, I recorded a customer invoice for $60.00
    Here's the Customer Payment transaction for $80.00 received:
    The Unapplied Amount will carry forward to the next invoice. No additional transactions need to be entered in Quicken unless you want to refund the overpayment to the customer.
    Issue the next invoice for the full amount (e.g., $60.00)
    If you are using Q 2019 (I assume your Canadian version does the same as the US version), the printed invoice will show "Balance Due $40.00" at the bottom.
    If not, send a Customer Statement along with the invoice or write a note on the invoice itself to inform the customer of the reduced balance due.
    When the next payment comes in ($40.00), record and apply it as above. This will reset the Unapplied Amount to 0.
  • jvb
    jvb Member
    Your solution looks great. Unfortunately my invoice payment doesn’t show ‘unapplied funds’ is that something I can easily add to it? I’m a complete newbie trying to find my way around
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What version of Quicken are you using?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • jvb
    jvb Member
    Quicken online 219, as far as I know
  • Greg_the_Geek
    There is no such thing as Quicken online 2019. From Quicken --> Help --> About Quicken. I just tried it on Quicken Subscription and Quicken 2017 (US Version) and I see the Existing Credits/Total to Apply/Unapplied Amount lines.
  • jvb
    jvb Member
    All I can find is Qicken Online Cloud - Essentials
    Help only gives me answers to questions
  • Greg_the_Geek
    I'm not that familiar with the Canadian versions of Quicken. Maybe someone who is can answer your question.
  • jvb
    jvb Member
    ty for trying
This discussion has been closed.