Does portfolio x-ray work for close-end funds? None of mine show up there.

:)

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Name such fund, so that we can test it out.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• gnorton173
    gnorton173 Member ✭✭
    ADX, JPS, UTG are a few that I hold.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just tried ADX and it looks like it does not work with the X-Ray.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • gnorton173
    gnorton173 Member ✭✭
    Thank you for checking Jim. They are a small niche of the investment world and don't receive much coverage but I was hopeful.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You get what Morningstar chooses to provide to Quicken.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Jim_Harman
    It is interesting that Morningstar will produce an X-Ray for ADX on their website (subscription required)

It is hard to tell if the lack of support for these funds for the X-Ray in Quicken is an oversight or by design.

@gnorton173 if this capability is important to you, you might post on the Windows product ideas section of this forum with a title like "Add support for closed end funds to Portfolio X-Ray". Be sure to list the funds that are not currently working.
  • gnorton173
    gnorton173 Member ✭✭
    Thanks for the insight Jim. I don't have a M* subscription so I was unaware. Since we are almost exclusively in CEFs I would really like to have the X-Ray capability and will follow your suggestion to post on product ideas page.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Since we are almost exclusively in CEFs
    Now that you've posted the idea, @gnorton173 , can we chat about investing? I'm curious why you prefer CEFs over open-ended funds.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since we are almost exclusively in CEFs
    Now that you've posted the idea, @gnorton173 , can we chat about investing? I'm curious why you prefer CEFs over open-ended funds.
    My guess would be because CEFs trade all day, like stocks, rather than being priced at End of Day only.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Rocket J Squirrel
    NotACPA said:
    My guess would be because CEFs trade all day, like stocks, rather than being priced at End of Day only.
    So do open-ended ETFs.

• Jim_Harman
    ETFs trade all day too.

CEFs are different from open end mutual funds or ETFs because they hold a fixed amount of the underlying securities ("closed end") and often sell at a significant premium or discount to their net asset value. For example the Adams Diversified Equity ADX is currently selling at about a 13% discount. If demand picks up for some reason, the share price would increase independent of the value of the underlying assets.

Some CEFs use leverage as well.

See this Bogleheads article for more info
    https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Closed-end_funds
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    edited June 2019
    Thanks for the reply, @gnorton173 . That is food for thought for me. As a retiree, I’ve been using a bond & CD ladder for current income without selling stock-based funds.

This discussion has been closed.