Security name changed, though the stock symbol remained the same.

Options
Dreyfus Equity Income became BNY Mellon Equity Income. Now I have placeholders because there is no history for BNY Mellon. How can I change the name of the former Dreyfus entries so the history is reflected for Mellon? Do I have to edit each and every past transaction?

Best Answer

Answers

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There must have been some transactions involved -
    What were they -
    When I know there is a Split, Merger, or other M/A type of action, I tend to NOT accept the transactions involved, as it screws up my performance and orig cost basis.  I then fudge things to get back on track - but each user has their own way of handling -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Chris Kinard
    Chris Kinard Member ✭✭
    Options
    Unfortunately, I was unaware of the renaming and accepted the transactions. So now I have a bunch of placeholders showing the difference in holdings (Quicken shows X number of Dreyfus but my investment firm shows 0; and Quicken shows 0 BNY Mellon but investment firm shows X). I would like to just change the Dreyfus name to Mellon so the history merges.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Unfortunately, I was unaware of the renaming and accepted the transactions. So now I have a bunch of placeholders showing the difference in holdings
    I'm still confused -
    What is the stock symbol for the Dryfus fund - is it --> DQIAX
    What is the symbol for the BNY fund --> ??
    If it is indeed the same, then there is only ONE entry in the Security List -
    and if you click on that security, it will show ALL the transactions for that security, regardless of what account or brokerage house was holding that security...
    It would be interesting to see a screen shot of that holding... like below -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Chris Kinard
    Chris Kinard Member ✭✭
    Options
    I am going to try the steps that q_lurker suggested. Both funds have the symbol DQIRX in Quicken (Quicken lists both funds with the identical symbol) and in online lists of stock symbols. I'll try to eliminate BNY and then re-download with name change.

Thanks to both of you for your efforts.
This discussion has been closed.