Any suggestions for a replacement for Quicken 2007?

Have used Quicken since Apple II GS days, but cannot tolerate the later versions after Q2007. Since Q2007 won't be supported in the new OS, what program could I switch to?

Best Answers

Answers

• AustinAustin Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 6
    I know you're looking for Quicken alternatives, but I've come to really like Quicken for Mac 2019, and it has definitely improved significantly over the versions from 2015, 2016, and 2017. If you haven't tried it recently, I'd recommend giving it a whirl. If you're set on looking elsewhere, I don't have any recommendations for products I've liked better than Quicken for Mac 2019, but I wish you the best moving forward. Cheers!
  • Q2007userQ2007user Member
    Tried setting up Virtual Box, but couldn't get it to work. Thanks for the suggestion.
    Austin, Can you get Quicken 2019 to handle scheduled transactions as suggestions, not absolutes (i.e. not enter them until told to)?
  • smayer97smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What trouble did you have setting up VirtualBox? Would be interested in your experience.

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

(Canadian  user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:
  • AustinAustin Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Q2007user Yes, like @smayer97 said, scheduled transactions can be set up to automatically be entered on the scheduled date, or sit and wait until you manually choose to have the scheduled transaction entered into the register. I use both options for different situations. For example, I have my monthly Netflix bill scheduled and set to automatically enter into the register, since Netflix automatically charges my credit card each month. My rent payment, however, I have set to wait until I choose to mark it as paid, since I have to manually write a check to my landlord, if that makes sense.
    SMayer97 - I could get Virtual Box installed, but it wouldn't use the OSX installers I had downloaded, likely a format problem. Now I am fighting to get Q2019 to properly convert my Q2007 data. It's leaving off most of the transactions past November of 2018.
    I wonder if it picked up the wrong file from Q2007. Maybe found an old backup on my hard drive?
  • smayer97smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Q2007user said:
    SMayer97 - I could get Virtual Box installed, but it wouldn't use the OSX installers I had downloaded, likely a format problem. 
    OS X installers can get tricky when trying to install from scratch (vs upgrading existing macOS) even on non-VM virtual drives. Not sure if that is your issue but there are tricks on the internet to overcome these issues.

Q2007user said:
    ... Now I am fighting to get Q2019 to properly convert my Q2007 data. It's leaving off most of the transactions past November of 2018.
    Q2007user said:
    I wonder if it picked up the wrong file from Q2007. Maybe found an old backup on my hard drive?
    I hope you sort that out.

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

(Canadian  user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:
  • jacobsjacobs SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Q2007user It sounds like maybe you imported an old Quicken 2007 data file. The importer in Quicken 2019 goes account by account, so having all accounts stop on the same date in the past seems unlikely. (And this isn't a problem that I've seen reported here before.)

One other suggestion: if you haven't already done this, try reindexing (Command-Option-B) your Quicken 2007 data file before importing it to Quicken 2019. All sorts of oddities occur with the Quicken 2007 database, and reindexing solves a number of inexplicable problems. Reindex, verify that you have your most recent transactions, quit Quicken 2007, then select that data file for import into Quicken 2019.
    QMac 2007 & QMac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.