How to fix account errors with Vangard accounts MAC

Options
after moving to Mac 2019 Deluxe, my Vanguard accounts have incorrect balances when compared with just logging into Vanguard. I was thinking of just removing those 3 accounts from Quicken and then adding them back in. I read about Quicken on the Vanguard site and I felt I needed to see if there might be some advice here first. Thanks!
Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• lhossus
    lhossus SuperUser, Mac Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Jim,

I don't know how Vanguard accounts are set up but I will assume multiple securities in each account.

1) You say incorrect balances.

a) Have you examined each security held in the accounts to see which ones are incorrect?
    b) Have you examined the transactions in Quicken - for the securities in error - to see when in time they become incorrect? You say you "moved to Mac 2019 Deluxe" ... therefore I assume you can compare the transactions in QMac 2019 to those in whatever you moved from.

The procedure for examining transactions can be enhanced following the following process:
    In an investment (Vanguard) account in Quicken: 
    Switch from Portfolio view to Transaction view.
    Enable the following columns: Shares, Share Balance, Memo/Notes
    Clear Filters: the filters should be All Dates, Any Type, Any Status. Click on the Clear Filters button if present.
    Set the sort order to Date, by clicking on the header of the Date column.
    Using the search box (upper right), find all transactions for the security. 
    Examine the following:
    1) Does the Share Balance reflect each transaction, going up with acquisitions, down with sales, changing according to each stock split, etc.? If you have another list of the transactions - statements from broker, or another financial management program - compare transaction by transaction or just check balances on a - say - yearly - basis to see where things are correct (or incorrect).
    2) Is there a Placeholder transaction? Examine the content of the Memo/Notes field of each transaction. Or search for the word "placeholder".
    Quicken Mac Subscription • macOS Monterey 12.6 on MacBook Pro 13" M1
  • Jim In Chicago
    Jim In Chicago Member ✭✭
    Options
    Version 5.11.0 (Build 511.25626.100) is what I am using and before I switched to Mac, all was fine. Can I just delete the 3 Accounts from Quicken, restart, and add these 3 back which would force Quicken to put back all 3 accounts by getting all account info from Vanguard again?
This discussion has been closed.