Why does Quicken not recognize existing securities?

When downloading some investment transactions, Quicken does not recognize existing securities and wants to add it as a new security. I get a box asking to match it to an existing security, but the list does not include the security, even though it is already in Quicken. If I try to add it, it is flagged as already existing.

Answers

• Lesser Nana
    Lesser Nana Member
    I am having the same problem. I have had to delete some accounts as there are 2 of the same. It is a mess. I am waiting until after the 1st to deal with it again. After the last patch, I have had nothing but trouble!
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Quicken identifies securities using a unique identifier provided by the financial institution when we import our account data.  The field is referred to as the CUSIP ID in Quicken.  When Quicken receives a CUSIP ID that hasn't been matched to a security in our data file, we're prompted to create a new security or select a security that has not already been matched.  If the identifier changes or we have mismatched a security, we must edit the security and uncheck Matched with online security to enable Quicken to recognize the security is available to be matched the next time Quicken processes the unmatched CUSIP ID

For publicly traded securities, the CUSIP ID should be their CUSIP numberhttps://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers/what-is-a-cusip-number
  • dnardozzi
    dnardozzi Member ✭✭
    The securities existed before the last update, and this problem only showed up after the update. As stated above, even if I try to add the new security, Q says that the security already exists, but doesn’t give the option to match it to that security. The box asks to match it to an existing security, but that security is not listed (even though it is on the security list if looked at from the tools drop-down menu). That is an obvious glitch - the security has already been added using the CUSPID, but it still does not recognize it. God forbid I want to rename the security to a shorter name - Q will probably crash (that is another issue with the latest update, one that Q has already has ID’d with a cumbersome work around - creating a new user ID, which I already had to do when the cloud data file was corrupted - I digress...)

This is a Q problem, not the financial institution’s. Even if it is on the bank, Q needs to get onboard, adapt and fix it. I have had numerous problems since upgrading from Q2016 to Q2019. I am considering leaving Q, which is very disappointing. I have been a user since 1994, and that is a lot of data. The program has only gotten worse, and now it costs more (annual charge versus buying the software).

Not happy, actually quite angry.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    dnardozzi said:
    The securities existed before the last update, and this problem only showed up after the update. As stated above, even if I try to add the new security, Q says that the security already exists, but doesn’t give the option to match it to that security. The box asks to match it to an existing security, but that security is not listed (even though it is on the security list if looked at from the tools drop-down menu). That is an obvious glitch - the security has already been added using the CUSPID, but it still does not recognize it. God forbid I want to rename the security to a shorter name - Q will probably crash (that is another issue with the latest update, one that Q has already has ID’d with a cumbersome work around - creating a new user ID, which I already had to do when the cloud data file was corrupted - I digress...)

This is a Q problem, not the financial institution’s. Even if it is on the bank, Q needs to get onboard, adapt and fix it. I have had numerous problems since upgrading from Q2016 to Q2019. I am considering leaving Q, which is very disappointing. I have been a user since 1994, and that is a lot of data. The program has only gotten worse, and now it costs more (annual charge versus buying the software).

Not happy, actually quite angry.
    I suggest you calm down and then reread my response.

If you really believe this is an issue with the last update, to revert to an earlier patch release, I suggest you perform a clean uninstall, install while disconnected from the internet, update by applying the appropriate Mondo Patch, and restore a data file saved prior to updating from the earlier patch release.  If you haven’t already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken. To update Quicken, I recommend you download and apply the appropriate Mondo Patch: https://www.quicken.com/support/patching-updates-windows or http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quickenpatches.html

To prevent Quicken from automatically applying an update, I suggest you set Windows UAC settings appropriately.
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    From C. D. Bales:
    When you get the "Matching Security" dialog, make sure the box to "Show Hidden Securities" is checked.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• dnardozzi
    dnardozzi Member ✭✭
    Yes - hidden accounts selected - it is just that all securities are not listed, even though they already exist in Q.

Calm down? I am sorry if my displeasure with Q upsets you. Perhaps you didn’t read my post - the software is not recognizing securities that already exist. They exist because Q put them there. You gave me a stock answer that doesn’t address the problem. I get it that Q will try to add if they don’t exist, but they already do. That is the problem. I don’t want to have to unmatch/uninstall/reinstall, use old data files and apply patches. I have already had to do that twice for other problems. I want the software to work.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    dnardozzi said:
    Yes - hidden accounts selected - it is just that all securities are not listed, even though they already exist in Q.

Calm down? I am sorry if my displeasure with Q upsets you. Perhaps you didn’t read my post - the software is not recognizing securities that already exist. They exist because Q put them there. You gave me a stock answer that doesn’t address the problem. I get it that Q will try to add if they don’t exist, but they already do. That is the problem. I don’t want to have to unmatch/uninstall/reinstall, use old data files and apply patches. I have already had to do that twice for other problems. I want the software to work.
    Your displeasure with Quicken doesn't upset me in the least. It is your ignorance we're attempting to address and, while you are angry, you will continue to have difficulty understanding why you're not able to resolve the issue.  

Of course, I read your post and my response does directly address the issue you have described.  I have explained why Quicken would behave as if a security does not exist in Quicken when it does and why Quicken will not offer the existing security.  I even told you how to address the issue.  If you would like to confirm the issue is as I have described, I suggest you compare the CUSIP ID for the security in Quicken with the CUSIP provided for the security by the financial institution in the OFX Log.

If you'd rather continue to vent your frustrations toward users only trying to help you, have at it.
This discussion has been closed.