Mysterious disappearance of long held security from Roth - in Quicken only

I have Quicken Premiere R19.52 and Windows 10. As of update through 6/28/19 I have no problem. After that I see disappearance of Vanguard 500 ETF (VOO). As of 6/28, the account holds 14 securities. As of 6/29 (and to present), there are 13. Why? What is the fix. The problem is not with provider Vanguard. Roth is one of four brokerage accounts I hold with Vanguard. Only Roth is affected.

Best Answer

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just to be clear, there's absolutely no "transaction" of any sort associated with the security's disappearance?  No "Remove", "Sold" or anything like that?

Any chance of a bad feed from Vanguard stating that you have 0 shares of Vanguard 500 ETF and an invisible placeholder got accepted?  That would be my first, (and maybe only), guess.
  • Chuck M
    Chuck M Member ✭✭
    Possible! I have for some time been prompted by Quicken to adjust shares upward in this holding by 0.001 (third decimal place) in order to match Vanguard. So I did that as of 6/28. I thought went well. Perhaps it didn't. Maybe I should delete that transaction and ? 6/29 (Sat morn) I updated for 6/28. But looking at it under date of 6/29 (and later) I noticed the omission of VOO.
  • Chuck M
    Chuck M Member ✭✭
    Wow. There was a hidden 6/29/19 placeholder deleting all shares. I don't know how that happened - not my intent. Problem solved by deleting the mistaken placeholder entry. Thank you very much. Good to know the share adjustment entry was not the issue.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps you entered the share adjustment with the size of the change you wanted rather than the number of shares you wanted to end up with. That would have the effect of essentially deleting all of your shares.

It is easy to make that mistake if you don't read the fine print in the Adjust Share Balance dialog.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Chuck M
    Chuck M Member ✭✭
    Point taken. Thanks again. I remember doing the adjustment twice. I fiddled to make it work. Will be more careful (and read) next time.
This discussion has been closed.