For about the last week, my 401K balance import is doubling. Even when I delete it and create new.

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited October 2018 in Investing (Windows)
How do you get help? Maybe it's time to buy a different program. For about the last week, my 401K balance import is doubling. Even when I delete it and create new. How do you get help from Quicken when you need it?

Comments

• Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Hello Tim,

Welcome to the Community!  I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues with the 401k balance.  To better troubleshoot this issue, I have a few questions.

May I ask, how are the transactions brought into Quicken?  Are they downloaded by running the One Step Update or imported via a Web Connect (.QFX) file that is downloaded from the Financial Institution?

Who is the Financial Institution that holds the account?
    What is the version and release number of your Quicken software?  If you aren't sure, that information can be found under the Help menu > About Quicken.

Any other additional details or screenshots (personal information redacted to protect your privacy please) of the issue that you can provide would be greatly appreciate and helpful.  Or, if you prefer, Quicken Support can be contacted directly at https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support

Thank you,

Sarah
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited April 2018
    Yes, I am using the 1 step update.  It is Fidelity Net Benefits.  Quicken Premier 2017  Version: R15.13 Build: 26.1.15.13    I went in and updated the Cash Balance to zero and then it looks correct.  I've never had to do that before and I was told by quicken support I shouldn't have to do that. 
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Tim,
    When you transfer money from your paycheck into your 401k account (in Q), are you then using Buy transactions to spend that money on funds in the account?

Failure to do so (and "Adding" the funds by other means) is a SURE FIRE way to the account to erroneously double in value ... because  it would have both the Cash and the Fund.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    It worked just fine for many years....then suddenly, it just started doubling the number.   I expense it out of my paycheck and I haven't done anything different.  I simply select the 401k account, update transactions, and enter my vault password. 
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Tim said:

It worked just fine for many years....then suddenly, it just started doubling the number.   I expense it out of my paycheck and I haven't done anything different.  I simply select the 401k account, update transactions, and enter my vault password. 

But when you "Update Transactions", what sort of Action is being recorded in your Q account for each transaction?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• luefher
    luefher Member, Windows Beta Beta
    Same thing here on 2017 - shows the same in security value and cash balance and just doubles it.
  • jcmiletich
    jcmiletich Member
    And same thing in 2019. I'm definitely regretting purchasing this product if it can't import basic information correctly. Why list a securities value of X, then a cash value of X (same value), then add them together? I've tried importing them twice (Fideity Net Benefits through WEb Connect) and same result.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is this a newly set up account and you are trying to get the initial balances correct, or was it once OK and now new contributions are being doubled?
    QWin Premier subscription
This discussion has been closed.