How do I sync Check register with projected balance?

The latest Quicken update for windows 2019 - R19.52 seems to have broken the link between the checking account register and the Bill and Income Reminder tool. The tool currently predicts negative balances whereas the checking register balances (and the bank statements) are all positive.

I have "supervalidated" the data file. No impact on the problem. I need to add a balancing sum to the "projected sum" for this account -- but I don't know how to do it. I don't want to add a balancing sum to the check register because it is correct.

Can someone help me out here??

Best Answer

• Paul Smith2
    Paul Smith2 Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    That's exactly what I did. Thanks for clarifying the language. The only thing to add is to "ignore the reminder that comes up in the check register to accept the transaction". Because I don't want the check register to have a bogus deposit in it, I choose to "ignore". That effectively puts the income reminder into the projected balance reports but prevents it from impacting the check register which was already balanced with the bank.

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    To revert to an earlier patch release, I suggest you perform a clean uninstall, install while disconnected from the internet, update by applying the appropriate Mondo Patch, and restore a data file saved prior to updating from the earlier patch release.  If you haven’t already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken. To update Quicken, I recommend you download and apply the appropriate Mondo Patch: https://www.quicken.com/support/patching-updates-windowsor http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quickenpatches.html
  • Dennis Squier
    Dennis Squier Member ✭✭
    I have the same problem. I can only reinstall by being online with quicken. Why doesn't quicken just fix the problem.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    I have the same problem. I can only reinstall by being online with quicken. Why doesn't quicken just fix the problem.
    You can install while disconnected from the internet.  After you have installed Quicken, you reconnect to the internet to register the product but do not allow Quicken to the software update.  Then, apply the mondo patch for the desired release.

As to why this specific issue hasn't been acknowledged or addressed yet, I suggest you contact Quicken Support:  https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support

I suspect the issue is triggered by corrupt reminders that may or may not be corrected  by Copy and Validatehttps://www.quicken.com/support/advanced-data-file-troubleshooting-correct-problems-quicken-windows or subsequently, by a super validate: press the Ctrl key and select File > File Operations > Validate and Repair....

If the issue persists, I suggest you consider deleting and recreating the reminders.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you click on the leftmost solid dot in the Projected Balances graph to see the details, do you see an Overdue Bills or Income amount that accounts for the discrepancy? Others have reported a similar problem.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Paul Smith2
    Paul Smith2 Member ✭✭✭
    Jim -- this comment was the clue how to fix the problem. By creating a single transaction for income in the amount of the "overdue bills or income" as reported by the leftmost solid dot on the projected balances graph but not entering this amount into the checkbook register -- the projected register amounts again sync with the actual amounts as reported by the bank!
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting... did you create an income reminder to counteract the bogus "overdue bills" and then not accept it?  If it was something else please explain exactly what you did.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Paul Smith2
    Paul Smith2 Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    That's exactly what I did. Thanks for clarifying the language. The only thing to add is to "ignore the reminder that comes up in the check register to accept the transaction". Because I don't want the check register to have a bogus deposit in it, I choose to "ignore". That effectively puts the income reminder into the projected balance reports but prevents it from impacting the check register which was already balanced with the bank.
  • markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    If you are looking at Projected Balances from the Home tab, try switching to the Bill & Income tab, Projected Balances view. That will show a listing of the reminders contributing to the errant Today's Balance and normally provides a means to delete or ignore the offending reminders. 
  • Paul Smith2
    Paul Smith2 Member ✭✭✭
    Markus
    Thanks for your suggestion. My problem seems to be that none of the scheduled Bill and Income Reminders can explain the discrepancy between the projected balance and the actual check register balance which does sync with the bank. I thought I had the problem solved by adding a balancing transaction in the form of one time deposit to the checking account -- which did have the desired effect on the projected balances -- but when I chose to "ignore" the transaction in the check register -- I was back to the same problem I had before .. the check register for the account was right and the projected balance was way off -- and I don't know why.

What I need is a way to make a transaction to sync the "projected register" with the actual reconciled check register .. and I haven't figured out how to do it yet..
  • Paul Smith2
    Paul Smith2 Member ✭✭✭
    Markus
    Examining carefully all the manual and online bills, one came up as "overdue" from 2016. While the amount of the overdue bill was small compared to the discrepancy -- when I deleted the manual bill the projected balance discrepancy disappeared. Apparently that was my problem....

Thanks to all who steered me in the right direction here...
This discussion has been closed.