Why can't I update the Quote / Price field for a particular security?

I am running Quicken 2019, Version 19.55.

I go to Portfolio > Investing in order to update security prices based on the monthly statements from our brokerage. However, there is one security, and only one, for which I cannot update the price. I will highlight the Quote / Price field for the security, enter the correct price and press Enter. However, the field will remain blank. We have owned the security since 2016, and this behavior has only recently started. I am not sure, but it MAY have started at the time I updated from Quicken 2016 to Quicken 2019, though I am not sure. Note that this is the only security for which I have this problem.

Any thoughts regarding what I need to do in order to fix the problem?

Many thanks,

David

Best Answers

• David9
    David9 Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Thanks, Sherlook. I had been completely unaware of File Operations > Validate and Repair, but I tried it and, voila, the problem is solved.

Best,

David

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    When inputting a price for a security, the procedure is to click on the security, click Update and then Edit price history, input the corrected data and then click OK ... NOT Enter.
    Are you doing that?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @NotACPA, @David is entering the price directly in the Quote/Price column of an Investing Portfolio view, so the procedure he describes should work.

He can also go to the Price History and enter it there as you describe, and maybe that would work.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Jim_Harman I stand corrected.  I don't usually input new prices/dates, but I tried inputting a new date/price combination ... and simply hitting ENTER, after inputting just  the price, DOES work.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    To be clear, there is no clicking on the security, clicking Update, then clicking Edit Price History involved here. He just goes to the Investing > Portfolio Quotes view or any other view that shows the Price/Quote column, selects the price and types in the price for the As of date, and hits Enter.

Normally the price is updated and recorded in the price history, but for him for this particular security the field is blanked out instead.

It would be interesting to go to the price history as you describe and see what is recorded there. It may be that something is damaged in the price history and hopefully repairing it as @Sherlock suggests will fix it.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • David9
    David9 Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Thanks, Sherlook. I had been completely unaware of File Operations > Validate and Repair, but I tried it and, voila, the problem is solved.

Best,

David
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did the Validate And Repair display any errors that were "fixed" ?

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Interesting - I tend not to view the --> Invest --> Portfolio screens,
    but maybe should start taking a look...

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

This discussion has been closed.