Very long syncing with Quicken Cloud

Using Quicken 2017 Deluxe, Version R19.5. Upload data via mobile app but syncing desktop app with Cloud has begun running 3+ minutes when it is at the "Processing Data" step (never used to do this.) Backup size is 135,264 kb, which must be large as it contains 20+ years of data! HOW CAN I SPEED UP THE BACKUP FROM THE CLOUD?

Best Answers

Answers

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello Jim,

Sorry, you have yet to receive a response.

I have a few questions, how many accounts total are you syncing to the mobile app?

How are you initiating the sync? Syncing to the cloud is different than saving a backup. Can you explain what steps you are taking?

Thank you!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Adding on to @Quicken_Tyka 's reply:
    The Sync to Mobile process CANNOT be thought of as a backup of your Quicken data file! It is only to be used to transfer data to your smartphone's Quicken Mobile app or Quicken on the Web.
    You cannot use a Sync file to restore a lost or damaged Quicken data file from!

How to properly set up Quicken Backup
    How to make Quicken create a backup for you automatically every time you close Quicken

For the sake of this discussion it is assumed that your Quicken data file is located in the Default (and recommended) place: C:\Users\username\Documents\Quicken

Review the backup settings available in Quicken (under Edit / Preferences / Backup).

In there you will find two types of backup: Automatic and Manual Backup.

Automatic Backup should be enabled and always goes to a \Backup folder that's part of the folder which contains your current Quicken data file, e.g. \Documents\Quicken\Backup. Set it to create a backup after running Quicken [1] times and to keep [5] (or more, your choice) backup copies.

To create a Manual Backup copy of your Quicken data file on an external device (USB-hard drive or USB memory stick recommended), put a checkmark at "Manual Backup Reminder" to enable the function and set "Remind me after running Quicken [xx] times" to [1].

Click OK to save the changes.

From now on, when you close Quicken using the red X button, you will get a popup window.

When you get this window for the first time, on some versions click the radio button for "Backup on my computer".
    Change the Backup File name's drive letter and path to point to your external device so that it looks something like this: E:\Quicken Backup\QDATA-2017-04-01.QDF-backup
    or use the Change button and work your way through the dialog.

Do not change the filename portion! Just overtype the drive letter and choose a backup folder name. If the folder does not exist, it will be created.

Also choose the option to "Add date to backup file name".

Every day when you run Backup or close Quicken, an additional backup file is created. Without the Add Date option you only have 1 backup copy which is overwritten every day ... and that may prove bad in a problem recovery situation.

Allow this backup to run to save the changes made on the screen.

Of course, once in a while you will have to go in and delete some of the oldest backup files, at your discretion, to avoid filling up your USB device.

One can never have enough backups of your Quicken data file. BTDTGTS!

• Jim Russell
    Jim Russell Member ✭✭
    Tyka: I am syncing 5 accounts: 3 banking (2 checking, 1 savings) + 1 Amex card and 1 Visa card.

How are you initiating the sync? I initiate the sync by pressing "Update Tab", then select "1 Step Update."

UKR Supervisor: I misled you in discussing "backups." I am successfully backing up and have no problems. It is syncing Desktop with the Cloud that is the problem. Up to now, it has been easily accomplished, but now it hangs for up to 3+ minutes when it is at the "Processing Data" step. It eventually does complete the sync.
  • Jim Russell
    Jim Russell Member ✭✭
    Tyra, you are my hero. Resetting the Cloud solved the problem, speeding sync from over 3:00 to under 1:00 -- even faster when I closed a memory hog (G-suites). I did get 2 errors -- see attached jpg -- is there anything I can do to eliminate them or just live with them?
This discussion has been closed.