Report print preview is smaller than actual print if Windows text size is not 100%

Jim_Harman
Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
in QWin 2019 R19.44, the print preview is significantly smaller than what is actually printed. This applies to both the preview in the report print dialog and the one that is shown when I click the Preview button and seems to apply regardless of the printer I select.

The print area in the preview for a landscape formatted letter sized page shows a right margin of about 3 inches and a bottom margin of about 2 inches but the page as printed uses the selected margins of 0.5 in. Note in the screenshot below that the page number, which should be right justified to the 0.5 in margin, is about 3 in. from the right edge of the page.

This is particularly confusing when coupled with the grayed-out page scaling options 

I do not recall seeing this in previous versions of Quicken, but I may be mistaken on this.

[Edit] I am running Windows 10 and was able to resolve this problem by right-clicking on the Windows desktop, clicking on Display settings, and changing the Size of text setting to 100%.

For me this makes the text in Quicken uncomfortably small, so it would certainly be nice if the Preview text always matched the size that will be printed and did not depend on this setting.
QWin Premier subscription

Best Answer

• Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021 Answer ✓
    Hi @Jim_Harman

Got it, thanks for the clarification ;)

I've reported the issue to Development, once a solution is available, it will be sent out as part of a future release.

Thanks again,

Sarah

[CTP-348]

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could this be an issue with Display Scaling? We've had many discussions in the past where the preview was not scaled properly.
    What kind of monitor are you using? Size, Resolution, 4k/5k hi res?
    Are the printer's default properties set to Letter size standard paper?
    Have you ever applied any display scaling overrides as recommended for versions prior to R 19.44? If so, undo that change and see if that fixes the issue
  • Jim_Harman
    edited June 2019
    Aha!

I am seeing this on a laptop with a 13" 1920x1080 monitor. In Windows 10, if I go to Display settings and change Scale and layout > Size of text from 125% to 100%, the preview problem goes away!

But now the screen text is so small I have to squint to read it. 

I think what is actually happening is that the text in the preview is always 100% size but if you change the Windows setting to 125%, everything else in Quicken gets bigger so the text looks smaller than it should be.

I see the same issue on a second system that has a 19" 1440x900 monitor. The preview was ok there, but if I change the size of text in Windows to 125%, I get the same issue as on the laptop.

So this should probably be titled "Report print preview size depends on Windows text size." I will make appropriate edits.

• awatkins
    awatkins Member
    This is a bug, is it not? I know of now other Windows app where printing is affected by screen resolution settings.
  • Jim_Harman
    I don't think anyone would consider it a feature...

Note that this issue just affects the print preview, not what is actually printed.
  • Quicken Sarah
    Hi All,

Thank you for reporting this behavior :)

I did some testing in my copy of Quicken 2019 R20.15 and it appears the the size of the text in the Print Preview is controlled by the selected Font Type and Size in the Print Preview window - 

Adjusting the Widows Text size setting, made the window bigger, but the text/font size stayed the same for me.

Please let me know if adjusting the Font size in the Print Preview window does not change the size of the preview windows as it does for me.

Thank you,

Sarah
  • Jim_Harman
    edited July 2019
    Thanks for looking into this, Sarah.

Adjusting the font size does make the print bigger but the problem with the print preview is still present in R20.15.

In your screenshots above, look at where the "Page 1" header is located on the page. This is justified to the right margin.

In the top 2 screenshots it is near the right edge of the page. In the 3rd screenshot, where you have set the Windows text size to 150%, the "Page 1" is only half way across the page. This would lead users to believe that the report will have a very wide right margin when printed.

You will find that when you physically print the page, it prints with the proper margin. 

What has happened in the preview is that the box that defines the page borders gets bigger when the Windows text size changes as it should, but the preview text does not, producing an incorrect preview.
  • Quicken Sarah
    edited February 2021 Answer ✓
    Hi @Jim_Harman

Got it, thanks for the clarification ;)

I've reported the issue to Development, once a solution is available, it will be sent out as part of a future release.

Thanks again,

Sarah

[CTP-348]
  • TJS0
    TJS0 Member ✭✭
    Quicken Sarah:
    The actual Print DOES GET Affected!!!
    If you try to print a report that goes thru a few pages in print, on my computer with an older monitor, when printing the networth report, the first column has the account names ON EACH PAGE (repeated) whereas on my new computer with a new 4K monitor, the print preview as explained here - it works when font size on screen is 100% and not larger, but the first columns on pages 2 and 3 IN THE PRINT DOES NOT HAVE the account names on the networth report. I hope you check out this point re the printing of the first column on each page for reports that span more than one page and your development fixes this! - its a bug not only on the preview but also in the print. FYI I use same printer and drivers on both computers so it is NOT the printer but QUICKEN !!
    Thanks
    Tibor S (TJS0)
  • TJS0
    TJS0 Member ✭✭
    Any update? Are the reports that get printed going to be fixed?
  • KathN
    KathN Member
    Thank you so much for this info. I've been working on this for hours with Quicken and printer settings. Worked fine after adjusting windows display to 100%. I'm using 13" laptop and the "recommended" display size is 200%. Changed to 100% to print report then back to 200% as the 100% is very very tiny.
  • TJS0
    TJS0 Member ✭✭
    I use a desktop with 4K 27inch screen
    print preview does not print properly and worse when its 2 pages it does not show row labels on page 2. When working with my old 24inch screen (not 4K0 it prints well. IT NEEDS TO BE FIXED AS IT DOES AFFECT PRINTED OUTPUT
  • BrandoGA
    BrandoGA Unconfirmed ✭✭
    The report printing continues to be a problem. Seems that changing the display scaling to 100% allows you to print a readable PDF report, but it is a hassle to change these settings before and after printing every report from Quicken
  • EmKay
    EmKay Member ✭✭✭✭
    How do we get Quicken to give a timeline/response to this?

Quicken Classic Premier (Windows) R52.33

• Jim_Harman
    Quicken generally does not provide any indication of if or when an issue will be addressed.

@Quicken Sarah 's response above from July 2019 indicates that she has documented the problem for Development but she was not optimistic about a prompt solution. 
  • EmKay
    EmKay Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    > @Jim_Harman said:
    > Quicken generally does not provide any indication of if or when an issue will be addressed.
    >
    > @Quicken Sarah 's response above from July 2019 indicates that she has documented the problem for Development but she was not optimistic about a prompt solution. 

That's funny: "prompt!" This problem has existed quite literally for years. And they've been notified - they just chose to not believe it or test it or reach out for evidence of it.

It's the primary reason I upgraded from 2017 to 2020 and subscribed.

Quicken Classic Premier (Windows) R52.33

• Jim_Harman
    I think the ticket number CTP-348 at the end of @Quicken Sarah's response from July indicates that she has been able to duplicate the problem and has reported it to the developers. 

But the developers need to prioritize annoying problems like this against the crashes, lost data, etc on their list.

An Idea discussion in the Windows printing section that highlights this issue would help get it more visibility.
  • DeeMT
    DeeMT Member
    I just joined this to find out why my print preview is so small and nothing seems to make it bigger. So disappointing to find out this is not a new problem but has been around for a few years. I did not try printing because the preview was so crappy. Why provide a preview function if you know it is not going to work and you won't fix it?
  • susieqr
    susieqr Member
    Quicken has had a scaling issues for years. Why has this problem not been resolved? We all have larger displays these days with higher resolutions. This needs to be fixed. Every year I say I am no longer going to renew my subscription to Quicken. If I change Windows display to 100% I can no longer see anything else on my screen. The preview does now fill the page but who can read it? PLEASE FIX THE PRINT PREVIEW!
  • jswafa
    jswafa Member ✭✭✭
    It looks like people are having different versions of this problem. My print previews are tiny (about 1/4 of the page shown - and that's exactly what gets printed - all the text is limited to about 1/4 of each sheet of paper, on the upper left! So the print preview is correct - showing what I actually get. The problem is I can't get it to print to a full page, so report printouts normally can't fit all the columns on what it thinks is a tiny page. Yes, changing Windows to 100% fixes this, but my Surface Pro recommended scale is 200%, and 100% is just too tiny to deal with.
  • Personally, I could care less about the print preview - I just can't stand that the actual reports just print on the upper left corner of the page. It's like the print image has been reduced.
  • jswafa
    jswafa Member ✭✭✭
    I agree Robert - those printouts are worthless, and switching Windows resolution every time you need a printout is not feasible.
  • MrPete
    MrPete Member ✭✭
    HELLO QUICKEN -- this is beyond ridiculous.
    This bug has been there for several years.
    It's quite simple (to a user): on any hi-res display, we MUST use font scaling to see anything. (In my case, MS Surface Pro.)
    Sadly, Quicken has a number of bugs in this area.

The worst: Report generation takes that into account for **calculating** the (viewport on) generated print pages. It attempts to squeeze the report into less than 1/4 of the page on my Surface Pro.
    RESULT: I can't get correctly printed reports.

(Second worst: columns are messed up badly for the same reason! I must adjust the "Amount" column in every report, every time... amounts don't show otherwise!)

ALSO: Quicken now looks to see if the driver has set "scaling off" and if so, refuses to scale. WRONG. That's just a setting, similar to NN% or X by Y pages. DON'T GRAY OUT SCALING.
  • MrPete
    MrPete Member ✭✭
    Even if I adjust to 100% screen fonts and squint, there are additional bugs here. Tell it to make the report 1 page wide x 2 tall... and it gets it wrong most of the time. Workaround: switch to landscape then back to portrait. Then it's ok (this time.)

Bugs bugs bugs bugs... please. Somebody in development test this thoroughly. Maybe I need to call my friends on the SW side of the company...
  • Dave Mayer
    Dave Mayer Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    I too am having a problem when I print reports. The printed reports only fill about 1/4 of the page (both in the preview and when printed). The display settings recommended for my laptop are 3200x1800 display resolution and 250% scaling.

As noted many times previously changing the display scaling to 100% does fix the printed report size problem, but my computer and Quicken become unusable due to the extremely small size of everything displayed.

A somewhat more viable solution is to print to the Quicken PDF printer. Using 100% page scaling will print correctly, however the print preview still looks like the printout will only use the upper left 1/4 of the page.

This problem has been going on for years. Is there any way to elevate the urgency for getting this fixed? I'm happy to help in any way that I can.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello all,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, although I apologize for any frustration that this has caused.

This is still ongoing and I do not have an ETA to provide at this time. If you would like to contribute to the research of this issue, please navigate to Help > Report a Problem.

Please include "QWIN-15774" as the subject and be sure to include the log files as well as a sanitized file if you are comfortable doing so.

Thank you,
    -Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Ongoing: 11/02/2020

No ETA is available.

QWIN-15774
    ~~~***~~~
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Ongoing: 11/16/2020

No ETA is available.

QWIN-15774
    ~~~***~~~
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Ongoing: 12/21/2020

No ETA is available.

QWIN-15774

~~~***~~~
  • mp95
    mp95 Member
    The discussion listed above deals with the print preview vs. the actual page printed. It appears to have been an ongoing problem for a while (as reflected in a # of discussions) and it manifests differently for different people. (See "Report print preview is smaller than actual print if Windows text size is not 100%" begun by Jim Harman in "Alerts and Know Product Issues"). It seems that for some the preview is smaller but the printed page is normal, whereas for others the preview is small and the printed page is smaller. Previous discussions indicate that this is related to possibly the font size chosen, the margins chosen, or the page scaling. For me, the print preview is not even viewable it is so small. My header font is Arial 12 pt and my body font is Arial 8 pt. My page margins are .5 top, bottom, and sides. I am not able to change the page scaling as it is grayed out. I have 2 different printers and in the end, the material typically prints out to fill the whole page on both printers. But it is VERY frustrating to not be able to see (1) what the page will look like overall; and (2) whether I have to make any adjustments in my settings (for different reports) prior to printing. If I have put in too much information then I waste a ton of paper as I experiment with how to modify my report to fit on the page. As previously noted from other discussions, this appears to have been going on for several years now. I do not understand why Quicken has not been able to make modifications in the program so that this problem is resolved. People spend a lot of money on this program and this seems like a critical piece of an effective program. PLEASE, PLEASE Quicken tech people - figure out a solution to this problem.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    Ongoing: 1/11/2021

No ETA is available.

QWIN-15774

~~~***~~~