Does the "Find" function not work on the "Action" field in an investment account?

JB
JB Member ✭✭
I'm using Quicken 2017 and have discovered my find doesn't work on the Action field in my investment account although the Action field is listed as an option. Example I open the find window while in my investment account and the select "Action" then "Contains" and then from the drop down menu I select "Deposit" and finish with "find all" . 10-20 seconds later I get "No matching transactions were found" , even when I am looking at 8 deposits on the current screen. I've also noticed the Actions I get to pick from in the Find function very, sometimes i get to pick from a list of all actions and other times I only get to pick from 4 basic actions. But none of this matters given no matter what action I choose to find , find comes up with nothing.

Answers

• jr7107
    jr7107 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    I tested the behavior of "Find" with the magnifying glass within an account. I selected Action, and Exact and Bought. I clicked the Find button. It moved to the next transaction within that account that was a Bought transaction.

Then I completed the same action with a "Find All" which produced a very large list from all Accounts of Bought transactions. So short answer, I don't know what the behavior is supposed to be with that tool. Will see if one of the @Quicken SangeethaS folks maybe can explain.

Also, this might be available in a custom Investment Transactions report. Not as quick, but if you saved it for reuse it would be in your reports library.
    Quicken user since 1994.
    Quicken Forum/Community Contributor since 2005.
  • jr7107
    jr7107 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Additionally I just tested an Investment Transactions report with the customized filter for "XIn" and "Cash" in the  Action tab of the report customization. It appears to grab all of the Deposits which are identified as "Cash" by the Action field.
    Quicken user since 1994.
  • JB
    JB Member ✭✭
    > @jr7107 said:
    > I tested the behavior of "Find" with the magnifying glass within an account. I selected Action, and Exact and Bought. I clicked the Find button. It moved to the next transaction within that account that was a Bought transaction.
    >
    I to can get "Bought" to return results but "Deposits" still doesn't work or for that matter any action that is listed by Find in its drop down menu.
  • JB
    JB Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    correction I meant to say it doesn't find "Withdrawal" either
  • jr7107
    jr7107 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, agree that the Deposit doesn't work. Tested that as well. But as I noted, there is something different with the handling of that Action type, because it also does not show up as an Action in the Investment Transactions report (only Cash and XIn). 
    Quicken user since 1994.
  • jr7107
    jr7107 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    I'm going to speculate that the behavior for Investing Actions and Cash Actions are are different and somehow Cash Actions are not supported in the Find tool. Again uncertain of what the behavior is supposed to be, but when it comes to anything where I need accuracy I always go to the Reporting tool. It does not solve the Find tool question, hopefully you can work around with the Reports.
    Quicken user since 1994.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Find does seem flaky and inconsistent for Actions in investment accounts. It can find some actions but not others. WriteChk does not work for example, either Exact, Begins with W, ends with Chk, Contains, etc.

Note that you are not limited to the selections in the dropdown list, you can type in something to look for.

Also if you are looking for particular Actions, you can sort the list on the Action field by clicking on the header.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • JB
    JB Member ✭✭
    > @jr7107 said:
    > Additionally I just tested an Investment Transactions report with the customized filter for "XIn" and "Cash" in the  Action tab of the report customization. It appears to grab all of the Deposits which are identified as "Cash" by the Action field.

After closer review of your Xin - Cash investment transaction report you'll probably notice most of the Xin transactions don't show any amounts. I reported that bug a few days ago.
  • jr7107
    jr7107 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    I didn't see any issue with the reports. I'm running the latest version though, so might be a difference in code stream.
    Quicken user since 1994.
  • JB
    JB Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Actually this is all related. Because I couldn't get a good report of all my Xin transactions, I was thinking of converting them over to "Deposits", given they do show up on the reports but for some reason find can't see them.
  • JB
    JB Member ✭✭
    > @jr7107 said:
    > I didn't see any issue with the reports. I'm running the latest version though, so might be a difference in code stream.

It was confirmed by others and determined the Xin bug dated back to Q 2014.