Account showing Negative share balance when it should be zero

I was working on transferring an account balance from one investment account to another that should have resulted in 0 share balance and 0 Cash value. I initially entered the transaction incorrectly so I entered the correct transaction and deleted the incorrect transaction. However, the register itself is showing an account balance of 0 Shares, however, the securities value summary is showing a negative Securities value that is equivalent to the value of the shares I transferred out. The total market value is then showing that same negative value. I have not found a way to fix this. I assume that something got messed up when I deleted the incorrect transaction.

Any Ideas?

Jim

Best Answer

• jimaa9mw
    jimaa9mw Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Interesting behavior. I had quit Quicken and restarted a couple times and there was no effect. As suggested, I made sure placeholders were visible which is what it was set to. There were no placeholders in either of the account registers in question. When I read some of the discussions the previous individuals pointed to, I saw some info about quicken trying to sync up between the account register and the share balance download (this is an investment account that I download). So I "redownloaded" to see if that would fix it. It did not fix the incorrect balance until I quit Quicken and restarted it, then the share balance was correctly set to 0.

I am not real clear on exactly what I did that fixed it, but I do thank the people who responded as it led me to trying some other things.

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Look for and eliminate any Placeholder Transactions that may have snuck in ...

About Placeholders (Quicken Windows)

"N/A" in certain fields of an investment transaction indicates that you have Placeholder transactions in your account that need to be deleted and replaced with the correct Buy / Sell / etc. transaction that should have been recorded here.
    For more about Placeholders please go into Quicken Help (press the F1 key from anywhere in Quicken) and perform a Contents search for "placeholder".
    Alternatively or in addition to the above, read the first few articles found here: https://www.quicken.com/support/search/placeholder

Worst case, if possible, restore your Quicken data file from a Manual or Automatic Backup taken before you started making these changes.

• jimaa9mw
    jimaa9mw Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Interesting behavior. I had quit Quicken and restarted a couple times and there was no effect. As suggested, I made sure placeholders were visible which is what it was set to. There were no placeholders in either of the account registers in question. When I read some of the discussions the previous individuals pointed to, I saw some info about quicken trying to sync up between the account register and the share balance download (this is an investment account that I download). So I "redownloaded" to see if that would fix it. It did not fix the incorrect balance until I quit Quicken and restarted it, then the share balance was correctly set to 0.

I am not real clear on exactly what I did that fixed it, but I do thank the people who responded as it led me to trying some other things.
This discussion has been closed.