Price History auto deletes prices 2+ years old

My Vanguard funds price history will only retain the past 2 years of prices. My T. Rowe Price funds price history goes back to 2002, and continues to update, and retain all history.
Question: I've asked before with 0 responses - how can I get my QW17 Windows file to accept and keep price history?
I currently keep 2 copies of QW so that I can create a Net Worth over time by running net-worth 2002 thru 2017 from one file and then running the last 2 years from my current file and merging them in Excel. I currently have lost 3-4 months of history because I failed to copy some of the 2 year old history into my old file. I'm also not sure if the QW Vanguard funds performance history has any validity.
No one at Quicken, in the Community or even a Facebook post has ever responded, except to keep bugging me to buy the next version upgrade or to send a CEO bragging email.
If no one wants to address this issue, then at least suggest an alternate software vendor who can provide current and historical investment/banking information.
I'm not an investing pro, but I ran my business with QW since the 90's, and while I'm somewhat a historian (data hoarder) it was good for what I needed - but it's reached it's end I'm afraid.

Comments

• jr7107
    jr7107 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    I have price history going back at least 22 years, just sampled Altria as an example. Can you add the prices manually via CSV and see if they stick around?

Quicken user since 1994.
    Quicken Forum/Community Contributor since 2005.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    If you haven't already, you may want to consider checking the correct investing price history option: select File > File Operations > Validate and Repair...
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ate you saying that all the price history from more than 2 years ago seems to be automatically being deleted? That is certainly not my experience with Vanguard data. 

Was this a one time event, or does it continue so that a month from now another month's data will be gone?

If one time, perhaps something changed 2 years ago like converting from a legacy mutual fund account to one of their newer brokerage accounts.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • gbartuli19
    gbartuli19 Member ✭✭
    I've had the same Vanguard accounts for years. And yes on the 17th I loose another month of history. I've attempted to hand load historical buy/sell transaction that show in the account record, but the history will not take hand inputs. The only possible change was lumping 3 IRA funds into one account. All other accounts are just one fund.
  • gbartuli19
    gbartuli19 Member ✭✭
    JR and Sherlock I have validated multiple times, and the only hint I've ever got was that the SW was created when DOS had a 512 entry directory limit and maybe I exceeded that with watch list entries.
  • jr7107
    jr7107 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Attempt a manual data load of prices older than your timeframe/cutoff and see the behavior. Make sure to save a backup first.
    Quicken user since 1994.
    Quicken Forum/Community Contributor since 2005.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    My Vanguard Admiral TSM (VTSAX) goes back to 2002.  VTSMX goes back to 1997 (though is not as complete recently).  My file was also initiated back in the days of DOS.  

You have some sort of corruption in your data file.

An attempt to try (no promises, have a backup handy or use a copy of the file) -- Change the ticker then change it back.  For example VTSAX to VTSAX1 (copy but delete the old) back to VTSAX.  Maybe exit and restart Quicken within the sequence.  (You might also vary the options available on the reticker sequence.)  

Possibility 2 -- Change the ticker { VTSAX(old) } and the security name, create a new security with the correct ticker (VTSAX); have the new security acquire the old security.

Ctrl-Z from an account transaction list (register) should fill in missing price history information using prices from transactions in the list.   

Once you have a non-corrupt security price history, you should be able to import price history information to fill in the missing years.    
  • gbartuli19
    gbartuli19 Member ✭✭
    OK guys, I have to retract "nobody ever gets back" and say thank you to these suggestions I've received - so I'll make a backup, rename my working file to something unique and give it a shot. Thank you all!
  • gbartuli19
    gbartuli19 Member ✭✭
    OK, think I lost my comment this may be a repeat. I got one of my Vanguard VTRIX recovered by renaming the symbol, deleting the history, then renaming the symbol again and deleting the history - then I imported my VTRIX history (3083 records) and SUCCESS. Now if I can repeat this for 4 more.
    I did validate my test file, I also deleted 36 EE/I bond security records, and changed my 3 IRA's bundle into separate accounts. Not sure if any of these were necessary. My file is 91,360 KB that may be a factor. So thank you guys, I'll create a fresh file and start over - wish me luck. and Thanx
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    "My file is 91,360 KB that may be a factor. "

My file size (per Windows which I assume you mean) is 162,000 KB.  I don't think your file size is an issue.  

[ It is actually more meaningful to talk about the QDF file size as reported by Help / (Ctrl-click) About Quicken.  That report shows my 'internal' QDF as 94,000 KB.  The difference is the other files zipped together to make up the whole (Windows) QDF file, like attachments, price history, and similar files. ]       
This discussion has been closed.