American Express Not Downloading

Answers

• trchristrchris Member
    I am also having this same issue. Amex is listed twice in the account list, but the new account does not include historical transactions. And in the initial account, it won't allow me to set up for downloading transactions.
  • dsampson01dsampson01 Member ✭✭
    "You didn't pay attention to the LINKing procedure to connect the accounts found at AmEx to your existing registers causing Quicken to create new account registers."

That's correct, I realized that at the time of reconnecting. I just assumed that the process would be automatic. Wrong me! Let this be a warning!
  • helmm2015helmm2015 Member
    Thanks. It works. I found I did not complete the Link to my existing account. So it created a new account and would not accept the old account name. Deactivating the new account name and doing the Link correctly to the old account name fixed it.
  • Tom OliverTom Oliver Member ✭✭
    When I reactivated, it created three totally new accounts, and duplicated all the transactions in my regular accounts all the way back to May. When I took the 15 minutes required to delete all the new duplicates, I wound up with a new balance that makes no sense, and my original account balance is still there, of course. And because they are in different accounts, it seems impossible to figure out what might be missing, and what duplicated, at this point. This is a disaster, not to mention an incredible, time-consuming mess when I just don't have this time to waste.
  • Rocket J SquirrelRocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You failed to follow the instructions. To properly reactivate accounts you must LINK them to your existing accounts. It is unfortunate that ADD is the default, but it's just a few clicks to do the proper LINKing.
    I suggest restoring your most recent backup prior to the deactivate/reactivate and starting over.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS.
    Now using QWin Premier subscription version on Win7 Pro x64.
  • Tom OliverTom Oliver Member ✭✭
    Ok. But I can't tell you how angry at Quicken I am for the way they have handled this, and the disregard for the non-expert busy, professional users like me. I didn't "fail to follow the instructions" There was NO indication about LNK vs ADD. ADD is a logical thing at that point. I spent a half an hour trying to sort out this huge mass of duplicates I've gotten.
  • RichardRichard Member ✭✭
    Jeff, as stated above, make sure that you change the drop down menu to "Link" instead of "Add". I had to delete the new AmEx account before I could link to the old one. The screen comes up when you click on "Connect".
  • MitchMitch Member ✭✭
    edited August 9
    I waited for AMEX to fix the downloading issues and followed all the Quicken recommendations to delete and add back account - multiple times. Did everything to the letter as instructed. And while it does seem to connect without an error, it will not download any transactions, So frustrating. Any suggestions?
  • I had a similar problem, and it turned out that I was skipping out on one important step. When you are reactivating / re-adding / or just plain adding an Amex account to Quicken Mac 2017, after you select "American Express" as the financial institution, CLICK ON "OPTIONS" and DO NOT CLICK ON "CONTINUE". The "Options" button is grey in color and looks like it is inactive, but it is active. The "Continue" button is blue in color and looks like the only option available, but that is not correct. So, click on "Option", and then select "Direct Connect". That did it for me. I am back to being able to download ALL of my Amex transactions from multiple Amex cards into one Quicken for Mac 2017 credit card account. Hope this helps! (**Thanks to Diego at Quicken phone support for pointing me in the right direction!)
  • MitchMitch Member ✭✭
    God bless you, sir! That worked!!!
  • petosky5petosky5 Member
    I want to download my AMEX (Delta Skymiles) transactions into Quicken. I know they've been working on fixing the problem, and the announcement said it should be working by 6am 8/8. It's now nearly 1pm 8/9. I followed the instructions, but the "Direct Connect" option is still greyed out. Is it not fixed yet? Or is there something else I should try?
  • dfrankchatdfrankchat Member
    I'm using Quicken Starter. I got the above announcement, followed the instructions to deactivate and reactivate my American Express account, and when I was done, Quicken had created a whole new account called CCXX2002 into which it now downloads all my American Express transactions -- which makes reconciling impossible. HOW CAN I GET QUICKEN BACK TO DOWNLOADING MY AMERICAN EXPRESS TRANSACTIONS INTO MY REAL AMERICAN EXPRESS ACCOUNT?
  • jacobsjacobs SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @petosky5 You need to select "American Express", not "American Express Delta Skymiles" as the institution to connect to. Then click on Options, even though it appears to be a gray button, and you should be able to select Direct Connect. 
    QMac 2007 & QMac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • ggreenhhiggreenhhi Member ✭✭
    I used the instructions by UKR SuperUser above and had success only after I reinserted the account numbers of each account in the info for activation since they were all from the same provider.

Thanks, UKR
  • SherlockSherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suggest you either restore a data file backup you saved before you created the new account or delete the new account and try again.  When you attempted to setup the Online Services, you neglected to link the account Quicken found at the financial institution to the existing register.
    Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 7 
  • Excellent!
  • In hopes that it might help someone else.... Quicken for Mac 2017 / AMEX / Direct Connect...

I had a similar download problems, and it turned out that I was skipping out on one important step. When you are reactivating / re-adding / or just plain adding an Amex account to Quicken Mac 2017, after you select "American Express" as the financial institution, CLICK ON "OPTIONS" and DO NOT CLICK ON "CONTINUE". The "Options" button is grey in color and looks like it is inactive, but it is active. The "Continue" button is blue in color and looks like the only option available, but that is not correct. So, click on "Option", and then select "Direct Connect". That did it for me. I am back to being able to download ALL of my Amex transactions from multiple Amex cards into one Quicken for Mac 2017 credit card account. Hope this helps! (**Thanks to Diego at Quicken phone support for pointing me in the right direction!)

ps. Also, don't forget to "LINK" to your existing Amex account/s that you already have.
  • Thanks to UKR, Richard, Rocket, et al, for the info on Link vs Add. I too had a bunch of extra accounts created but I deleted these "new" accounts and went back following your steps closely. Everything is now back - thanks for saving me a long call to tech support!
  • mvitullimvitulli Member ✭✭
    :# All of a sudden I am not able to download American Express cc transactions. I am using Quicken 2017 for Mac and Direct Connect. Any suggestions?
    I followed suggestions and deactivated and reactivated account. Downloads are now working for my credit card but I am connecting via Quicken Connect, a connection that I was avoiding. Same trouble with my American Express Savings Bank account (Amercain Express Bank FSB); only Quicken Connect is now available. Boo!
    I was able to change the connection type for my credit card but not for American Express Savings Bank FSB. I really don't want to use Quicken Connect. I suppose I can go back to using Web Connect. Sigh.
  • jacobsjacobs SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The connection types available are determined solely by the financial institutions. You should contact the bank and ask them to support Direct Connect.
    QMac 2007 & QMac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • jrhoyerjrhoyer Member ✭✭
    Are others getting errors downloading AMEX transactions?
  • winniesuewinniesue Member
    With the new Am Ex cc change to online access, I needed to disable and re-do the online access. Now Quicken has created an entirely new account. I want to be able to continue using the same account?
  • niagara66niagara66 Member ✭✭
    Appears AmEx is again blocking downloads. Is Quicken working on problem??
  • Greg_the_GeekGreg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What error message(s) are you getting?
    Quicken 2017 H&B - Windows 10
  • Greg_the_GeekGreg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    When you reactivated Online Services, you should have linked to your current account. You can either deactivate/reactivate and link to the correct account or Move the transactions from the old account to the new account. Please make a backup first.
    Quicken 2017 H&B - Windows 10
  • DcanDcan Member ✭✭
    I got a message that, in order to continue downloading transactions from American Express, I had to deactivate and reactivate my Amex account register, whichi I did. So no, Quicken created a new Amex account. Downloaded transactions are going into this new account, not the old one. What's up with that, and how do I fix it?