"ContribX" vs "XIn" when entering an IRA Contribution

Why in some IRA accounts when entering "Cash Transferred into Account" do they show as as an action "ContribX" and in other IRA accounts show as a "XIn"? The accounts to which the cash is sent are IRA accounts and account from which the cash is sent are non-IRA accounts. This appears to be an inconsistency? Can someone explain?

Comments

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't really explain, but I have observed similar occurrences.
    If you're simply downloading the transactions without first hand-entering them, then between your financial institution and Quicken, you get what you get. Better to hand-enter them before downloading to make sure they're right.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Gary
    Gary Member ✭✭
    My problem is that I want to change an account from a brokerage to a Traditional IRA account. I thought I could create a Traditional IRA account then copy the transactions wholesale to the new account then delete the existing account. Thoughts?
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Gah! No, don't do that! You can convert a brokerage account to an IRA. In the Account Details, select Tax Deferred. Then a new button will appear at the bottom of the dialog allowing you to convert the taxable brokerage account to a tax-deferred IRA or other such account.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Note there is no way to convert it back, so make sure to back up your data file first in case the result is not what you expected.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    make sure to back up your data file first in case the result is not what you expected.
    I should have that sentence in my Windows clipboard at all times to paste into every answer.

• Gary
    Gary Member ✭✭
    Thanks. It seems to work.
This discussion has been closed.