Effects on execution speed, if any, of Stock Splits that may be missing

Options
My Quicken Premier (QDF file of 226,000 KB) runs slowly. I have performed almost all of the tasks listed in last month's FAQ "Troubleshooting 101". I say "almost" because I have not corrected the stock splits. The validation and super validation reports state QDF: no errors; QEL: the old file was corrupt and only some of the data has been recovered; QEL: All internal consistency checks passed; and then there is a list of roughly 50 instances beginning in 2007 of stock splits that may be missing. The split entries are indeed missing, but the numbers of shares are correct because over the years I added and removed shares instead of using the split. My question is: could my lack of entering "stock splits" explain why Quicken appears to run too slowly in the sense of taking much time when I switch from one investment account to another? I have also trimmed the number of memorized payees. Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Options
    I doubt the lack of split entries is relevant.

Based upon my experience, I think the first time we open a register in Quicken after opening a data file, Quicken loads all the transactions in the account to calculate the running balance.  Subsequently, switching back to an account is quick because sufficient state is preserved in system memory.   Investment accounts take longer to load initially as the running share balance of each holding is calculated.  Think of each holding in the investment account's history as if it was it's own bank account.

If you're using a current subscription and you have many closed positions, archiving the transactions may noticeably improve the initial load time of the investment account: open the investment account, press Ctrl + Shift + N, and select Archive Transactions

Before making any significant changes to your data file, always save a backup: press Ctrl + B

• PeteLL
    PeteLL Member ✭✭
    Options
    Sherlock, thanks. I seriously doubted the potentially missing stock splits could affect performance, but thought I'd ask. I had been fain to archive, but I did it. It removed all the "stock splits may be missing" lines from the validation report--that's good. I'm not sure, however, it improved execution speed.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    PeteLL said:
    Sherlock, thanks. I seriously doubted the potentially missing stock splits could affect performance, but thought I'd ask. I had been fain to archive, but I did it. It removed all the "stock splits may be missing" lines from the validation report--that's good. I'm not sure, however, it improved execution speed.
    If you haven't noticed any improvement in the initial load time of the investment account after archiving the transactions, you may restore the data file backup saved before archiving the transactions.  
This discussion has been closed.