copying over the categories but not the data from one platform to another?

Have contacted quicken x 3 concerning 2019 MAC converting from 2016 Windows and basically am told I need to start from scratch. Have done this but is there a way of copying the categories I had created (2016) and everything is filed under from one program to the other or do I have to rebuild this categorization that looks and reports different than the Mac categories (have 30 accounts)

Best Answers

Answers

• rainbows
    rainbows Member ✭✭
    I did NOT try moving all the data (including the categories and account layout then remove the data). I'm changing from 2016 Q windows to 2019 Q MAC but did it after taxes (april) so starting from scratch is only importing May on which doesn't help for next years report.
    I was able migrate 2016 into 2019 but had not archived in windows for a couple years and 2019 MAC, I'm told doesn't have that feature. That being said, going back into brokerage accounts to find migration errors to have them corrected and lined up with bank download was impossible. I'll try your idea. Thanks
  • rainbows
    rainbows Member ✭✭
    I think the QIF is a bit beyond my skill set but thanks
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @Rocket J Squirrel To my knowledge, there is no capability in Quicken Mac to import a QIF file of categories.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    jacobs said:
    @Rocket J Squirrel To my knowledge, there is no capability in Quicken Mac to import a QIF file of categories.
    Can QMac import QIF at all?

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Hello Rocket J Squirrel,

A new file offers an option to import a QIF.

https://www.quicken.com/support/converting-your-data-quicken-mac

Hope this helps!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Well, if someone has both versions and time on their hands, it would be worth the experiment to export categories from QWin and import them into QMac via QIF. Maybe it will work better than importing a file full of transactions.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have both Windows and Mac. I'll give it a try and let you know.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Greg_the_Geek
    I created a new Quicken data file with just the standard categories. (I Have HB&RP so all the business categories were included). I exported the file to QIF, started a new file on the Mac and imported the QIF. All the business categories were there so I'm assuming the QIF imported correctly.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    edited August 2019
    rainbows said:
    I think the QIF is a bit beyond my skill set but thanks
    There's no skill needed. In Quicken for Windows, do File > File Export > QIF File and select only Category List for export.

Then, in Quicken for Mac, create a new file and import the QIF file as shown above in Tyka's post.
    Done.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Now that I've looked at it twice, you may also need to check For Quicken Mac. I don't know whether this has any effect on exporting categories.

• Greg_the_Geek
    I did not check For Quicken Mac and it worked fine.
This discussion has been closed.