New to Quicken

how do I insert transactions in all my ck & sav accts, some are grayed out, can I change this?

Comments

• jr7107
    jr7107 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    What version of Quicken are you using? Transactions can be created manually or by downloading from your Financial Institution (FI).

In the case of your checking account if starting with a fresh account, pick a month end reconciled cash balance to start, and then add transactions after that. Deposits or withdrawals to reflect the activity. You can manually create transactions directly in the register.

You can configure it for online downloading of transactions but you might want to manually work some in there first to navigate the program.
    Quicken user since 1994.
    Quicken Forum/Community Contributor since 2005.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Are you new to Quicken for Windows?

Welcome.
    Please read this for more information, some videos and a list of resources to help familiarize yourself with Quicken:
    https://www.quicken.com/quicken-tips
    https://www.quicken.com/complete-guide-getting-started-quicken-2018-windows

Quicken Help! (Quicken for Windows)

If you're unsure on how to do something, you can find more information about a specific task, function, feature or report in Quicken Help.
    To access Quicken Help simply press the F1 key from anywhere in Quicken (or click Help in the Menu bar, then click Quicken Help).
    Use the Contents tab to see the available books in Quicken Help. Click on one of the books to open it. Click on a chapter to drill down to more details.
    Or use the Search tab to search using keywords, e.g., "buy security".
    Some Quicken view screens may have a blue (or yellow) button with a question mark. Click it to get view - specific help.

• aledjr38
    aledjr38 Member ✭✭
    :) how do I insert transactions in all my ck & sav accts, some are grayed out, can I change this?
  • Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The grayed out transactions may be because they have been reconciled?  Go to Edit, preferences, register and clear the option to gray reconciled transactions.

To manually insert transactions, simply scroll down to the bottom of the register for the account and type them in.

Quicken Business & Personal Subscription, Windows 11 Home

• aledjr38
    aledjr38 Member ✭✭
    "The grayed out transactions may be because they have been reconciled? Go to Edit, preferences, register and clear the option to gray reconciled transactions."
    This did not work.
    I would like to insert transactions without scrolling back and forth.
    I can do this on only one of my checking accts.
  • Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check the sort order by clicking on the date header in the register.  It could be you have the sort order where the newest transactions are at the top of the register instead of the bottom.

Quicken Business & Personal Subscription, Windows 11 Home

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just go to the blank line at the bottom of the register to enter new transactions.  Or hit Ctrl+N keys.  When you hit enter it will sort in the right place by date.  If your register is not in date order click on the Date column heading to sort.  You don't have to scroll around.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

This discussion has been closed.