Quicken Won’t open after latest update

I recently did a software update to Quicken this morning. Since then, I am unable to launch the application. I have sent my error logs to Quicken. I am running a windows 10 machine. I have done all of my own troubleshooting without success. Quicken’s change to software as a service with automatic updates remains very frustrating to me. There have been nothing but headaches for me since the change.

Comments

• David Henderson
    David Henderson Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Long time Quicken User. Windows 10 Home. Quicken 2019 27.1.21.16. Today, when launching Quicken, I was informed of a Quicken update which I ran. After completion, I was presented with a box asking for my user name and password, which I inserted (I have never had to insert a username and password to run Quicken before. This was a surprise). Quicken launched and ran correctly.

On subsequent launches of Quicken, I am presented with a similar box asking for user name and password however, there are no entry boxes (see attachment). Clicking the "X" to close the box works but the Quicken window is dimmed and frozen. Task Manager must be used to force the program closed. Rebooted with the same result.
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @""David Henderson" ,

I got that too. I fixed the problem, by restoring the last Manual Backup and everything works just fine. I always do Manual Backups in place of Quicken's Automatic Backups.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• I haven't done any manual backups. Looking in my Quicken folder, there is a subfolder titled BACKUPS with several entries, one from last night. These appear to be data file backups. Is this what you're referring to? If so, how do I go about restoring the one from yesterday? Thank you for the help!
  • thecreator
    Hi @""David Henderson" ,

The same way, you would restore a Manual Backup, just Browse to that location and select the Backup File you want to restore.

However, if your Hard Drive becomes unbootable, then you have lost everything. unless you have backups off the Hard Drive.

• I'm afraid that doesn't help. Going to the BACKUP folder and restoring ANY of the backups results in the same issue as described in my first post. Any other ideas to try?
  • K.O. (Win-Premier)
    K.O. (Win-Premier) Member ✭✭✭✭
    Are you using a VPN?  I have been unable to use Quicken w/ my VPN active.  Gives me the exact same blank window and I have to kill the process.
  • thecreator
    I'm afraid that doesn't help. Going to the BACKUP folder and restoring ANY of the backups results in the same issue as described in my first post. Any other ideas to try?
    Hi @""David Henderson" ,

After you restore the Backup, you will still need to enter your Quicken USER ID, if not already entered and your Password. But you should not be asked again for it.
    Unless you don't use it daily or weekly.

• Not using a VPN. I'm sure it had something to do with today's update. I've had no luck restoring previous backup .dat files as suggested. My latest .dat file opens correctly on another machine so pretty sure it's not the .dat files. Has to be something connected to the core program itself (maybe registry). I may uninstall/reinstall and see if that solves the issue.
  • thecreator

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    . I've had no luck restoring previous backup .dat files as suggested. My latest .dat file opens correctly on another machine so pretty sure it's not the .dat files.
    You do mean the Quicken .QDF files -
    as there are no .DAT files used...
    Just updated to R21.16 - no probs - and was not prompted for User ID / pw

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Yes, QDF files. Sorry for any confusion. My mistake.

In any event, I restored from an image file and now back to normal although Quicken, of course, wants to install the same update which I decline. With others experiencing the same issue, maybe the developers will look into it.

thanks to everyone who helped out!
  • Brian166
    Brian166 Member ✭✭
    Just installed R21.16 build 27.1.21.16 - it worked fine prior - Any suggestions?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    What year and version of Quicken were you using?
  • David Henderson
    David Henderson Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I may have discovered what is causing the issue I described in my first post. I believe it may be some conflict with Kaspersky Internet Security. The issue first appeared on my Dell Desktop and was the reason for my first post. I have since reverted back to an earlier version of Quicken 2019 (R20.15 Build 27.1.20.15) and have not experienced any further problems.

Last night, I launched Quicken on my Dell laptop (also running Windows 10 home and Kaspersky) and was notified of the upgrade (R21.16 Version 27.1.21.16) which I allowed to run. The problem again appeared on this different computer after the upgrade completed. As before, I had to use Task Manager to force Quicken to close. On each subsequent launch of Quicken, the same issue appeared and I had to force close.

Using the laptop, I tried to install a fresh copy of Quicken downloaded from my account at Quicken.com. The installer would not complete and failed. After some research, I decided to pause Kaspersky and attempt the install. This time the installation completed correctly along with the upgrade that had been causing the original issue on my desktop. I resumed Kaspersky’s protection and have attempted several launches of Quicken on the fully-updated laptop with no further issue.

Now, back to the desktop. I paused Kaspersky, ran the update, resumed Kaspersky and all seems well.

I’ve heard the tips about pausing anti-virus / internet security during software installation but have never had a problem until now. Anyway, I wanted to follow up and post my results.
  • buckley0820
    buckley0820 Member ✭✭
    Every morning when I start up my laptop, I go to run Quicken and it freezes/crashes on the first screen. It will do this consistently until I run the latest Mondo Patch (currently it's QW27.1.21.16). Once I do that, all is well until I restart my computer again, and then I need to run the patch again. Any ideas?
  • buckley0820
    buckley0820 Member ✭✭
    Ok that's most likely it -- This is a work laptop that has a 3rd party virus scanner with config options locked. I can live with running the patch each time. Thanks!
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Quicken crashes, hangs or loops at startup?

Please try this:

Reboot Windows.
    Close Quicken.
    Use Windows File Explorer to locate and rename your current Quicken data file, for example, from Qdata.QDF to QdataX.QDF
    Usually this file is located in your \Documents\Quicken folder.

Having done that start Quicken as usual from the Start Menu or Desktop Quicken icon.
    If Quicken cannot find your current data file during startup it should just simply load the program and give you either a nearly blank menu screen or one that has options to start as new user, restore from backup, etc.

• If you get to this point without Quicken crashing
      • click on File in the Menu bar. Select the Validate function. Select the renamed Quicken data file and see if Quicken can access and repair it.
      • If the data file is beyond repair, try to restore your data file from the most recent Manual or Automatic backup. Go back to restoring successively older backups until you find a file that works
        https://www.quicken.com/support/how-backup-or-restore-your-quicken-data
    • If you can't get Quicken to start at all,

• Bonnie Walker
    Bonnie Walker Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    :# An update was forced on me yesterday, and the program blew up three times trying to open it. I have rebooted to no avail.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you have Controlled Folder Access enabled in Windows Defender?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Bonnie Walker
    Bonnie Walker Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    I do not use Defender. Use McAfee.
  • Bonnie Walker
    Bonnie Walker Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I reinstalled and for now, it appears to have worked. what a p.i.t.a.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Have you restarted your computer? Do you have Controlled Folder Access enabled in Windows Defender?

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7857675/faq-windows-defender-controlled-folder-access
  • Tenn-Jim
    Tenn-Jim Member ✭✭
    I have a similar problem as David Henderson. I have used Quicken for Windows since 1993. I work offline most of the time and only connect to the internet when I download stock/mutual fund quotes, use my browser, email, etc. Otherwise I leave the internet connection disabled for security reasons. I do not download any banking or investment account info in Quicken, nor do I use bill paying. I guess I am a minimalist Quicken customer.
    Build 27.1.21.16 is broken in that the pop-up window for log-in comes up every time I start up Quicken offline. If I click the close x on the right top corner of the pop-up 5 times, the pop-up goes away. When I want to run the program online the first time, I get the pop-up log-in window again. The problem is that this build 27.1.21.16 assumes my pc is always connected to the internet and it is not. I reinstalled Build 27.1.20.15 from a download on the Quicken website (logged into my account in a browser to get the download). The download uses Build 27.1.20.15, which works perfectly for me.
    I saw no other issues, but keep in mind, I don't download account information from financial institutions with Quicken. In that case, I would have restored a manual back-up as suggested by others above. :)
  • Greg_the_Geek
    In order for Quicken to work correctly offline, you need to disable your network adapter.
  • Tenn-Jim
    Tenn-Jim Member ✭✭
    Regarding David Henderson above and backups, I set up Quicken 2019 subscription Windows 10 (Edit>Preferences>Manual backup reminder>5 times) to remind me to manually back up my file. I save the backup to a separate folder on a second hard disk drive. I do not rely on auto backup.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    I set it to backup every time I exit Quicken. If you read the posts in this community long enough, you'll do the same.
  • Tenn-Jim
    Tenn-Jim Member ✭✭
    I tried installing Builds 27.1.20.15 and 27.1.21.16 with Bitdefender Total Security disabled and also with it enabled. This made no difference as far as Build 27.1.21.16 having the log-in popup window issue during offline program use.
  • Tenn-Jim
    Tenn-Jim Member ✭✭
    Greg_the_Greek. Thank you for your comments. I do disable all network adapters (bluetooth and wifi always disabled, so just disable ethernet) to disconnect from the internet and to use Quicken offline. Point well taken on manual backup every time instead of my every 5 uses.
    Keep in mind Build 27.1.20.15 does not have this issue with me.
  • Michael C
    Michael C Member ✭✭
    I still have the problem. It has been 2 weeks with no help from Quicken and no response despite me sending the log files. I am paying for a service that I can't access.
This discussion has been closed.