Checked categories do not show up in my budget - how do I fix this?

I had a budget set up and expenses just stopped showing up for some months. I created a new budget and some categories just don't show, even though they are checked. How can I fix this? I am using a Mac, with Quicken Deluxe 2019. Thanks!
Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello Susan,

Sorry, you haven't received a response.

Are these categories missing in the main budget screen or are they missing in the Edit budget screen?

Are these all income or expense categories or a mix?

Are the missing categories related in any way? Do they have the same parent category?

Let us know!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • susan.cassagne
    susan.cassagne Member ✭✭
    Hi! Sorry, I wasn’t clear. The categories show up in my budget, but the actual expenses for some categories do not. For example, Auto:Loan has expenditures, but the category shows with no expenditures. Is there no way to distinguish which accounts are reflected in a budget?
    Thanks!
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Hello Susan,

Thank you for the clarification.

Currently, the budget includes all accounts that are listed in the file unless the accounts have been hidden. There isn't an option to exclude specific accounts at this time.

Are the amounts that are being excluded transfers by chance? If so, the ability to include transfers in the budget is unavailable at this time.

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7333957/add-ability-to-include-or-exclude-transfers-on-budgets-in-quicken-for-mac-452-legacy-votes

If the issue isn't with transfers, I would verify the category name on the transactions to ensure they include the sub-category. For example, "Auto: Loan" isn't categorized as just "Auto" 

Let us know!
    ~~~***~~~
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi! Sorry, I wasn’t clear. The categories show up in my budget, but the actual expenses for some categories do not. For example, Auto:Loan has expenditures, but the category shows with no expenditures. Is there no way to distinguish which accounts are reflected in a budget?
    Thanks!
    Are you sure, Auto:Loan should have transactions going into it?
    On a manual loan account, when you pay your auto loan from your checking account, the transaction's principal amount is recorded as a Split transfer to the loan account, not as an expense to Auto:Loan.
    Only if the loan account is connected to the bank for transaction downloading (which I recommend you don't do), will the principal amount of the payment be recorded to Auto:Loan, because a connected loan account gets all its information downloaded from the bank, not from the split payment transaction.
  • susan.cassagne
    susan.cassagne Member ✭✭
    Well, this makes the Budget function absolutely useless (for me) unless I change certain category names. The ability to choose the accounts to pull categories from would certainly help. Thank you all.
  • susan.cassagne
    susan.cassagne Member ✭✭
    I finally came to that conclusion. I added a similar category (Auto:Loan and Auto Loan) and separated the categories in the two accounts. The auto loan is interest free, so the total expense is the principal. Still, a little frustrating that I have to "trick" Quicken into doing what I need! Thank you!
This discussion has been closed.