Home screen liability balance is missing an account

Options
The liability balance total at the top of the home screen is missing one of my liability accounts. The total on a Net Worth Report is correct. It is not included in the Home Screen total.

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words …
    Can you please capture one or more images of the parts of your Quicken window showing the issue, sensitive information blacked out as necessary to protect your privacy but annotated to describe the situation, and attach the image(s) here?
    The Windows Snipping Tool (available with Windows 7 and up) can be used to capture a partial screen image and save it to a file.  Microsoft Paint can be used to annotate the image.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13776/windows-use-snipping-tool-to-capture-screenshots
    To take a screenshot in Mac please see https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201361
    Please create image files of type PNG, JPG or GIF only.
    To attach the image here, start composing your reply in the "Type your comment" box at the bottom of this webpage. Drag and drop the image or, at the top of the text entry window you'll see a row of icons beginning with B I S
    Click the "Attach image" icon (the one that looks like a tiny landscape with mountain and sun). It will allow you to select and upload the captured image file(s) from your computer. The captured image(s) will be inserted at wherever the cursor is located in the text.

Also please let us know which version and release of Quicken you are using. Click Help / About Quicken to get this information.
  • David Brunton
    David Brunton Member ✭✭
    Options
    Using Quicken 2019, Version R21.16, Build 27.1.21.16
    Two images are attached. One is the upper right corner of the home screen. The other is the liability portion of the Net Worth Report. The value of $9,200 is not included on the Home screen, the report is correct.
  • Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hello @David Brunton

Thank you for the response and providing that additional information.

May I ask, if you click the gear icon just above the "diff" column of the Home View > Net Worth graph and select "Customize this graph" - are all the accounts and categories selected and set for the correct date range?

Please let us know, thank you.

Sarah
  • David Brunton
    David Brunton Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thank you for your help. I will follow this email up over the weekend with the correction for the above issue. It was a liability issue with an account whtich i totally do not understand. Loan vrs Credit Card account as a liability. Still had a value difference of $206 within a checking account and the report, but totally screwed up the Home Screen totals with something I did. Will work on it this weekend and reply. Thanks again, Have a great Holiday. DB
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Credit Cards and Loans ARE, in accounting, both types of liabilities.
    BUT, both in Q and in real life, you've got a LOT more flexibility with the card than you do with most loan types ... which is why Q also treats them differently and groups them differently.
    Only a HELOC acts remotely like a credit card (multiple debits and multiple credits) where with most other loans you've only got the original debit followed by multiple credits (payments).

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• David Brunton
    Options
    I greatly apologize for not responding after the Holiday as I had mentioned in my previous email. I had a new account which was a special no interest for 4 years, payable monthly. Set it up as a loan. After your reply, I looked at the detail and changed it to a credit card account, which it really is. Corrected the problem. Reports, Home page and Account list on left all agree now. But in researching this issue, I found another one withing a checking account. Reports show a value $206.00 greater than the account. Account balances with the bank and value within accounts on the left side of the home screen are correct. Reports are $206.00 greater. Traced it back to over a year ago, but never noticed. Always reconciles monthly with to the bank.
    Screen shots are attached. Any idea or direction I can take to find this and correct this? Than k you, David Brunton
  • Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hello @David Brunton

No apologies necessary :) We appreciate your posting back with the updated information.

I'm glad to hear that the original issue is resolved, although I'm sorry to hear that a new one has appeared.

Thank you for uploading the screenshots, I can definitely see the discrepancy, but there's quite a few reasons why that could be happening.  

May I ask, do you use Savings Goals at all? 

When running the Net Worth report, was the report customized in any way or is the screenshot of the totals with the default report settings?

Please also click the gear icon in the Accounts bar and let me know which options are selected.

Thank you,

Sarah
  • David Brunton
    Options
    Thanks again for your help. As mentioned in researching, this has been there for over a year and not noticed. Assume it is going to be hard to track down.
    1. No, I do not utilize Saving Goals. Only Budgeting.
    2. The Net Worth report was customized :
    Date range is earliest to date, Selected accounts (unchecked non active accounts), All Categories, All Payees, All Securities.
    Default Net Worth Report shows the same values. Same date range in default.
    3. Account Options checked are:
    Expand all accounts
    Compact View
    Show amounts
    Show cents in amounts
    Show current balance in accounts bar
    No checked:
    Standard view
    Show credit score
    Show ending balance in account bar
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You say you traced the discrepancy between the Net Worth report and the account balance to over a year ago. 

I would go backwards in time by changing the end date of the Net Worth report to locate the date when the discrepancy first occurs and look carefully at any transactions on or near that date, including any split transactions and transfers. Look for
    -- transactions with no category
    -- broken transfers between accounts - the transaction shows on one side but not the other
    -- self-transfers or balance adjustments - the transfer is to the same account.

Back up your data, then correct or delete and re-enter any questionable transactions.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Also you say the Net Worth report does not include "non active" accounts. When looking at transactions on the problem date, is there perhaps a transfer to or from one of those accounts? I think excluding an account from the report may exclude all transactions relating to that account.

To avoid this, set the start date for the report later, say a week ago, and see if that fixes the discrepancy.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • David Brunton
    Options
    The default report with all accounts included produces the same result. Tried setting the start date one week, two weeks, a month and year ago, report remains with a $206.00 difference. Not sure if I can do what your previous reply mentioned, but will look into it. DB
This discussion has been closed.