Need to do a simple compound search or report

Options
tmplee
tmplee Member ✭✭
I frequently have a need to make a report of all transactions in any of several accounts, possibly also in certain categories, with an amount above (or below ) a certain amount, that contain a particular word or phrase in the memo/notes column. I can do that in a snap in QM 2007. As best I can tell, there is no straightforward way to do that in "new" Quicken (5.12.2). I had to do each account separately, search for the word (at least it didn't happen to be in any field other than memo to spit out spurious "hits") and then sort on amount to narrow down the range. But to look at the contents of split transactions I had to click on each one at a time to see whether what I was looking for was in it. In QM2007 the attached screen allows you to do this all so easily, as those who have used it would remember. It even breaks out individual splits. Is anything like that planned? Bonus question: is there any place here that contains a list of features people have asked for that we can vote on? Or a roadmap of near-term improvements? So far (about a week) in working with "new" Quicken this is as close to a deal-breaker as I've found, although having pie-chart asset allocation reports would be sort of a deal-maker for me, all else being equal.

Comments

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    One suggestion would be to create a transaction report filtered by account and category and sort it by the amount column. Then export it to Excel or Numbers, delete the rows not in the amount range and then search the Memo column for the keyword.

I know, I know... that's a bunch of extra steps and an external tool to do this workaround. Hopefully some day Quicken will get all the 2007 reports implemented in the current version. I have no idea when that may be.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • tmplee
    tmplee Member ✭✭
    Options
    @RickO Ah — I see what that gives me that just looking in a register didn't. It DOES split out the individual entries in a split transaction. All we really need in the current transaction detail report is to include a few more columns to customize with. But then somebody is going to say "you didn't include such and such a column that's important to me." I'd suggest they implement something like the simple filter mechanism in Excel or LibreOffice where you can filter in several ways on each column.
  • RickO
    Options
    Actually, I should have mentioned that you can do the same process with an export of the register transactions to a CSV file (menu File > Export). It also breaks out the split lines. And you can include any columns you want.
  • tmplee
    tmplee Member ✭✭
    Options
    Actually, for me it's even simpler: after doing some filtering (perhaps just picking the accounts of interest) using the transaction report, export it to the clipboard. Open a blank spreadsheet and simply paste the clipboard. My spreadsheet program (LibreOffice) can interpret what's in the clipboard as tab separated values and it comes out fine. Then use the "standard filter" to get exactly what I'm looking for.
  • RickO
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Yup. The tradeoff being with the register export, you have to send it to a file first, but you have more available columns.

Note that for the register method, you can choose a subset of accounts by using the Accounts filter in one of the group registers. 
This discussion has been closed.