How to do report by amount?

Having just come from Quicken for Mac 2007, I haven't found a way to do a report by amount in Quicken for Mac 2019. It was easily done in Quicken for Mac 2007. Can anyone suggest a way to do this? Thanks..

Best Answers

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    What do you mean "report by amount"? Could you provide more information about the report you're trying to replicate?
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • neilweit
    neilweit Member ✭✭
    Thanks for looking into this. In Quicken for Mac 2007, one of the choices on the customize button for a report is AMOUNT, where you enter a number and the report will be generated with transactions that match the amount criteria. It's on the Customize Transaction Detail Report tab. There are boxes for Check #, Memo, & Amount . In Quicken for Mac 2019, it only shows Accounts, Categories, Tabs & Payees. It would be nice to have Check #, Memo, & Amount on this screen as well in 2019.
  • neilweit
    neilweit Member ✭✭
    Thanks for your answer. It will take a little getting used to. If I search for 12.00, I get not only 12.00 but also 112.00, 2912.00, etc. If I try 012.00 I still get the same results. But it serves my purposes. Great Community and appreciate all the help.
  • jacobs
    @neilweit You're right; I forgot that the Quicken's Search feature doesn't provide a way to search for exact matches. That would actually be a nice little feature enhancement: being able to specify searches as 'equals' versus 'contains'. In Quicken 2007, I frequently used Quick Reports, and they are all 'contains' searches, so I guess I'm used to it! But the regular reports gave you the option of equals or contains, as well as starts or ends with.

What you can do to make it easier to find the transaction(s) you're looking for is to do the Search, then click the Amount (or Payment) column heading to sort the results by the amount -- which would make it easier, if your example, to find all the 12.00 transactions grouped together. 
  • neilweit
    neilweit Member ✭✭
    Good suggestion. Using SQL we used wildcard characters (*,%, etc) to help in the searches. It's been a while since I've used SQL, having retired 6 years ago from ID. Thanks..
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Here's one trick: if you are looking for a debit transaction of exactly $12.00, you can do a search of the Amount column for "-12.00". That will avoid the 112.00 etc. transactions. But it only works for negative amounts.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • jacobs
    If only quotes in the search field -- e.g "12.00" instead of 12.00 -- resulted in an exact or equals search, as so many other searches do in other programs and websites.
This discussion has been closed.