How to have CD bank account show as Investing in Asset Allocation

Ps56k2
Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2019 in Investing (Windows)
I've tripped over this before, but as I move cash into CDs - it is harder to see the overall "investment" asset allocation picture with regard to "cash".
Since the CDs are acquired thru normal banks, they appear as part of the bank account, along with Checking, Savings, MM, and CDs.
It's too bad that these investment type accounts can't be split off, as they really represent "investments" and not the usual "banking" type of accounts and transactions.
And yes.... you can "display" them as part of the lower list of accounts - Investments - but they are still considered part of the banking world.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

Comments

• jr7107
    jr7107 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    How about just buying T-bills or short term treasuries instead? Gets them into the portfolio view. Not advice, just a way of getting them into the allocation picture more effectively.
    Quicken user since 1994.
    Quicken Forum/Community Contributor since 2005.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    jr7107 said:
    How about just buying T-bills or short term treasuries instead? Gets them into the portfolio view. Not advice, just a way of getting them into the allocation picture more effectively.
    I have a couple of Vanguard mutual funds for Total Bonds, Muni Bonds, and Intl Bonds.
    And "cash" shows up from the various stock mutual fund internal allocations, but as I start doing a Ladder CD, would like it to be included as an "investment"... but guess not, since it comes thru the "banking" account download...

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• jr7107
    jr7107 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, I get that you are dealing with a "non-broker" firm so the funds go into a different category. Can you ladder T-Bills through your broker to get the same result?

And on the "cash" view in Portfolio View when I aggregate it, I really have no idea how it is calculated.
    Quicken user since 1994.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    @ps56k,  If you have a bank CD account that you want to treat as an investment, go to Account Details and click on the Display Options tab. Under Account Intent, choose Investment or Retirement as appropriate.

The account will move to the Investing section of the Accounts list and will also be available and selected by default in the Investing Asset Allocation report. It is classified as Cash. Make sure "No security (includes Cash)" is included in your security selections.

On the Investing > Asset Allocation screen, it is also available for selection as one of the accounts, but the CD money is included in your allocation only if you select "All securities" because there is no selection for No Security (includes Cash) in the selection list (a bug I think)

@jr7107, Cash in the Investing Portfolio views should be the total of the Cash Balances in your investing accounts plus the CD accounts if you have set their account intent to investing or retirement.

This appears to be a seldom-used feature of Quicken so I don't know what other impacts it might have.

[Sorry for all the edits] This applies to QWin Subscription. Cash in the Investing Portfolio views was handled differently in earlier versions. I think there was no line for it unless you grouped by Accounts.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • jr7107
    jr7107 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    @Jim_Harman I did not think change the display options tab for account intent would move it to the portfolio view, also I haven't ever tested it. And re: cash in the portfolio view aggregated by something other than Account gets wacky with different currencies. I checked once and the Market Value was correct, I just didn't know how Q came up with the total but I trust it is correct.
    Quicken user since 1994.