Why do some categories display the sum of the actual spent rather than deviation from budget

When using the "details" display, in a couple of income and expense categories the "to date" balance shows the total amount of the actuals, rather than the total difference between budget and actuals. In other words, where the total expenditure is $10,000, and where the budgeted amount is $10,500, instead of showing $500 in "to date" it shows $10,000. Most categories show the correct numbers. Why is this happening?

Comments

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    I suspect you may not have set these categories to rollover.
  • linda katz
    linda katz Member ✭✭
    Nope, that's not it.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    The To date balance should the sum of the earlier balances.  If it's not, I suggest you review: https://www.quicken.com/support/advanced-data-file-troubleshooting-correct-problems-quicken-windows
  • linda katz
    linda katz Member ✭✭
    In case anyone is interested .... I've now determined that the use of subcategories is seriously screwing up budgeting.. The problem with tracking the salary column is that the pre-set category of salary includes sub-categories of holiday, sick pay, and vacation. I wasn't using these in the category list, and this was apparently causing the problem. When I choose these subcategories for budget purposes, even though they're all 0s, the main category of salary is now acting as it should. This is really aggravating and makes no sense!
This discussion has been closed.