Why does Quicken have math errors?

Quicken at times improperly adds when it should subtract, or vise versa. It seems to do this when an entry is inserted to a previous date. Only when I edit a previous entry then it will correct the error. Example: I have a balance of 3,743.48 and a payment of 3,258.99 it give me a balance of 6,366.23 and after forcing an edit, then the balance appears as 465.49

Answers

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try
    Quicken at times improperly adds when it should subtract, or vise versa. It seems to do this when an entry is inserted to a previous date.
    Quicken is not a spreadsheet, so it needs to refresh in order to recalculate. Simply selecting another account and going back will force a refresh.
  • This has not been my experience. The only way to get Quicken to correct it self is to create or edit a previous date entry. It seems to be an error in Quicken. It seems to be when money is transferred from one account to another account, but not always. In a payment transfer it will subtract when it should add. Changing account does appear to change or recalculate the error. Add entries below that point only carries the balance forward. I have seen this error too many times. I first started seeing this error when I create a "Property & Debt" account, If I created a payment and entered an amount in the decrease column then Quicken would subtract the amount from the negative balance and therefore increasing what is owed. If I entered the amount in the increase column, the result is exactly the same. When I created an entry at the beginning called rebalance and edit it from 0.00 to anything, and then change it back to 0.00, then the decrease amount would get added to the negative balance and the amount owed would properly decrease.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Based on other similar discussions here in the Community, I suspect that what you're seeing is a screen refresh issue. The Quicken screen is not fully updated after the change you made.

Let's try some "Troubleshooting 101" to ensure the Quicken software is installed and updated properly and that your data file is in good working order.
    Please perform all the steps in this document:
    Troubleshooting 101 - Fixing Software Installation and Data File Problems

• lablover57
    lablover57 Member ✭✭✭
    Especially after the last 2 updates, math errors galore.
    Quicken User since the DOS days...
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Especially after the last 2 updates, math errors galore.
    Got any evidence to support this claim? Anything that isn't caused by screen refresh issues (i.o.w., doesn't go away after you switch screens between Quicken views and back) and can't be resolved by running a full data file validation procedure (as described in my prior post)?
    Please collect your evidence and show us. It might also be a good idea to get Quicken Support involved.
  • I did have some, but this site doesn't allow snaps to be posted. I'll collect the data. Are you suggesting that Quicken doesn't refresh after entering a transaction? Quicken has always updated the balance after entering a transaction for about 25-30 years. Is this a new thing with Quicken to not update?
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Until you reach a certain level of proficiency in this environment, it's true that you don't get to imbed graphics in your messages.
    BUT, you can attach them using the "paper with a folded corner" icon, above.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Quicken 2017 for Windows R19.7
    I have on 2 or 3 occasions now seen where I update a payment (or deposit?) amount in a line in the register in a bank (or credit card?) account, and the balance column has the wrong value from that entry forwards
    Editing the line again fixes it.
    Sorry, I don't have an exact repro case, as this only happened on rare occasions.
This discussion has been closed.