How to Track Discretionary Spending in a Budget for Quicken for Mac?

I'm trying to group discretionary spending versus fixed spending in a Budget. I thought Category Groups would do it but I can't see how to do it in Quicken for Mac. Is it available for Mac? If so, how do I find it / use it? If not, any ideas for a work around so I can group discretionary spending versus fixed spending?
Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• HJ
    HJ Member
    Thanks John!
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @HJ Another option you have -- well, really an extension of what John said -- is that you can have more than one budget. So you could have one for discretionary categories, and one for all categories, or whatever variations you want.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    jacobs said:
    @HJ Another option you have -- well, really an extension of what John said -- is that you can have more than one budget. So you could have one for discretionary categories, and one for all categories, or whatever variations you want.
    You can, and I have.

But, I found it much simpler to only track the categories I consider discretionary and wish to track.

Having all the fixed costs in the way simply made for a cluttered budget. For those who track every every inflow/outflow in their budget-more power to them. I found it unwieldy. 

This discussion has been closed.