Return on Investment

I had 2 brokerage accounts - I transferred my issues from one to the other to consolidate accounts. Once the brokerages completed the transactions I moved the issues over in Quicken. I did not "download" the moved issues but instead used the "transfer issues between accounts" in the transaction dropdown menu. It transferred all the issues over including every individual transaction & the cost basis. However when I run the portfolio report the ROI (%) & Return only show the Gain & %Gain - not the return. I called tech support & they tried it on their end but came up with the same results. I have the closed account & the resultant return but you cannot edit the return column manually. Anybody have a work around?

Comments

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    When you are analyzing the perfomance for a period that spans the transfer between accounts, you must include both the old and new accounts in the report
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Barry Bloom
    Barry Bloom Member ✭✭
    Every transaction has been transferred over - from the time I opened up the other account - if I used both accounts there would be duplicate entries - besides it wouldn't give me the correct ROI
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Every transaction has been transferred over - from the time I opened up the other account - if I used both accounts there would be duplicate entries - besides it wouldn't give me the correct ROI
    If the Removed and Added have been entered properly by the wizard, the transactions have been entered on the same day so there should be no duplicate entries when you include both accounts.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    When you are analyzing the performance for a period that spans the transfer between accounts, you must include both the old and new accounts in the report
    Including both accounts will work for the Investment Performance Report and the related Average Annual Return.  It will not work for portfolio view information on ROI% and Return which can be affected by Amount Invested.  Whether portfolio view information is amiss may depend on how the data is grouped - by account, by security, by Security Type, or similar.
  • Barry Bloom
    Barry Bloom Member ✭✭
    Exactly - it does not work for the portfolio view which is what I desired. I called tech support - he set up 2 dummy accounts on his end & tried it - it doesn't work - he suggested I post it here because maybe someone figured out a work around. I like to see my portfolio & quickly see my ROI which is much kore important than gain especially with CEFs & monthly dividend paying REITs - I do not want to generate a report every day
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    I like to see my portfolio & quickly see my ROI which is much kore important than gain
    Just remember that ROI for a particular holding will only be accurate if you haven't sold any shares. Excerpts from Quicken Help:
    Return represents the total return of a security: the current market value, plus the income taken out as cash, plus cash received from sales of shares, minus the amount invested.
    Return on investment, or ROI, is defined as return divided by amount invested.
    Amount invested doesn't decrease when you sell shares; cost basis does. If calculations such as ROI appear lower than you would expect, it could be because the amount invested includes the cost of shares you no longer own.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

This discussion has been closed.