where to download the free Quicken 2004 (so I can upgrade old QDF file)

I need to do some work on a QDF file that was backed up on 12/31/2011. I got a weird error message about "Your datafile was last used with Quickenunknown" and then the message instructed me to download free Quicken 2004. However, the FAQ link seems dead.

qw.quicken.com/cgi-bin/qd.cgi/w/2017/Intermediate/. qw.quicken.com/cgi-bin/qd.cgi/w/2017/Intermediate/.

So where can I find an old version of Quicken that will allow me to read (and edit) this file?
Been using Quicken (and TurboTax) since DOS days in 1990s.

Best Answers

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser, Mac Beta, Canada Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    It is under the heading "Converting a data file from Quicken 98 - 2003"
    Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken Mac Quicken Windows Quicken Mobile

Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    What version of Quicken are you currently using?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    > "Your datafile was last used with Quicken unknown"
    That particular error message also appears if the data file you are trying to open is hopelessly and irreparably damaged and Quicken cannot read the control record containing the file version information.
    Using Q 2004 to process this data file is just a guess by the progammer and may not achieve anything at all.
    Whatever version of Quicken you have currently installed on your computer ... please do NOT try to install Q 2004 or any other older version of Quicken on the same computer. The installation process will wipe out your currently installed Quicken version!
    Use a different computer, preferably one that runs Windows 8.1 or older, to perform the installation of Q 2004 and attempt to run the file conversion process.

• Phil Burton
    Phil Burton Member ✭✭✭
    @Greg_the_Geek: I aj currently using Quicken 2019 Premier R 22.12.

@UKR I will run the older version of Quicken on a Win 7 scratch partition that I use when necessary. My system runs Win 10 Pro 64, but I also multi-boot when necessary.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    I agree with @UKR that the data file you are trying to open is hopelessly and irreparably damaged.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Phil Burton
    Phil Burton Member ✭✭✭
    I can't imagine why that file is so damaged. I restored this old file from a backup. (I do backup by years. Every year I use a new HDD for backup, and I keep the old backup drives in a closet.)

I'll just have to try opening this file with an old version of Quicken and see what happens.
This discussion has been closed.