Home Quicken for Windows Paying Bills, Online Billers & Reminders (Windows)

Closing balance column now reports combined balance of all payment accounts

After the most recent update (R22.12), when displaying multiple accounts in the "Projected Balances" tab of "Bills and Income", the "Closing Balance" column now displays the combined balance of all accounts selected. This is NEW behavior. Prior to the update, the closing balance shown was for each individual account linked to the payment. This makes it very difficult to determine if sufficient funds exist in each individual payment account.
Tagged:

Best Answers

• mikemike ✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    This is fixed in R23.14 along with a bunch of other bill reminder issues. Thanks!

Answers

• UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I finally got my update to R 22.12 today and I can confirm that this is changed behavior.
    The Closing Balance shown on each line should remain the individual bank account's closing balance for that day.
    Quicken programmers: please change that back to what it was! The combined closing balance for all accounts is useless.

• PapoonPapoon Member ✭✭
    I show multiple accounts in Bills and Income. When using the Projected Balances view, for each row showing a transaction on an account, the Closing Balance used to show how much would be left in the affected account after the transaction. Following the R22.12 update it instead shows how the sum of all the accounts selected would be affected. That is, instead of knowing if a bill will cause an account to be overdrawn, now I just see a number that has no utility.

Other than rolling back to the previous version, anyone have ideas on how to restore the earlier meaning to the Closing Balance column?

(To answer the usual questions 1) I have validated the file, and 2) opening the QDF file with an earlier version of Quicken on another machine shows the 'correct' amounts in Closing Balance)
  • I agree with the 2 previous posters - this needs to be changed back ASAP. Closing balance of the individual accounts should be shown it is absolutely useless to me.
  • I also agree. Closing Balance should only display individual account.
  • I found a fix. When we open the bills tab there is an option to show data for accounts. Select the account we want displayed in the drop down.
  • mikemike Member ✭✭
    Not really a fix. It's always been like that. It's the combined display that is the problem. I would rather see all my bills from all my selected payment accounts than have to select each one individually to check funding. It is especially a problem if a credit card account with a balance is selected along with checking or debit accounts. The combined display balance then goes negative!
  • 4rvarley4rvarley Member ✭✭
    Quicken 2019 Windows R22.12 27.1.22.12 updated yesterday and now getting inaccurate balances in closing balance column under Bill & Income Tab/Projected Balances/Closing Balance.
    I have three banking accounts and in the past 20+ years the balance column shows a balance for each account for each Pay To/Receive From entery. But after the update, the Closing Balance shows a running total of ALL Banking Accounts. Is this an error in the update or a change? If it is a chance this is useless information and needs to be changed back to individual balances for each payment/deposit.
  • David ChristopherDavid Christopher Member ✭✭✭✭
    If it is a change, I think it is a good one because with ‘Spending’ selected the balance reflects the ‘In-Out-What’s Left’, Ending Balance or What is Left figure.

If you want to look at each Spending Account by itself, you can choose them one at a time. 
    Not correct. The 'Whats Left is the total of what you have in your banking accounts now., The Bills & Income Tab to do with what is left in each account after Upcoming Bills and Income Tab provides a graph of what your future balance in each account is and the dots on each graph correspond with a specific date which is the due date of the Bill or Income and the closing balance below should show how much you expect to see in EACH ACCOUNT. NOT A RUNNING TOTAL. I just checked my other computer, which I had not downloaded the update to and that is exactly how it shows. Someone messed up how the closing balance column calculates. I want to know how much I will have in each account so I do not overdraft.
  • Gary587Gary587 Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Totally agree with 4rvarley . This was a stupid change and now makes the projected balances column totally useless. I used that column nightly to see when I need to move money BETWEEN my savings and checking account before I might have an overdraft. Telling me how much money I have combined in both accounts is useless information there.

(removed- rant)

If for some reason, some folks really want to live in a fools paradise, then eventually add an optional check box of "Show total balances instead?" to the "Select multiple accounts" option. Otherwise, show the projected balance of just the account the transaction line refers to in the last column, as it has worked for years.
  • Tom YoungTom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Edited for clarity.
    Gary587 & Tom Young,

First Gary, I agree with your statement " I used that column nightly to see when I need to move money BETWEEN my savings and checking account before I might have an overdraft."

Second Tom Young, yes you can see future balances in each account, however, you have to go back and forth. I had mine set up with 2 checking accounts and my brokerage money market account. Seeing all three accounts at the same time on the graph allowed me see when I needed to move money, especially from the brokerage cash account. Now I have to flip back and forth and I have to remember what I saw.

I think Gary hit it right on the head about using this to keep from overdrawing. I think this change by Quicken puts those who used this with several accounts showing at risk for overdraft.
    Oh and how do we get someone at Quicken to look at these comments. I did the Report a Problem and sent a screen shot, but that also says you will not get a reply. What is the best way to bring this problem to the attention of Quicken?
  • Tom YoungTom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've posted a link to this conversation in the SuperUsers lounge. 

• rgclousergclouse Member
    Please fix this ASAP. I too have been totally confused because the closing balance was changed to be a combined balance. I was pulling my hair out, which is difficult since I'm almost totally bald. I normally show 2 checking accounts in the upcoming bills and income screen and I need to know if one of them is running too low. At least the graph still seems accurate. But when you see an account going negative on the graph and look below and see a closing balance over $1000, it is very confusing. Quicken, springing something like this unannounced is NOT GOOD!!!
  • Gary587Gary587 Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    One other further idea that might keep everyone happy.

When showing multiple account projections, instead of just having one final column labeled "Closing Balance", have TWO columns, one showing "Account Balance" for just the account referenced in that particular line (like it used to work), AND, "Total Balance" of the aggregate sum of the accounts included in the multi account selection (like it is working now).

If Quicken does this, they can then claim credit for an "improvement" instead of a "correction" ;-)
  • PLEASE FIX!!! I have a couple accounts I use to pay bills. I have multiple accounts visible because I use Quicken to keep track of my bills and I want to see everything that is due so I don't accidentally miss. I don't want to see a combined closing balance because I use that figure to ensure I have the money in that account to pay that bill.
  • ejhadeshejhadesh Member
    Go back to the way it was before. This method is worthless. I want to see my individual account balances. The closing balance is useless. I want to see the individual transactions projected effects through the specified timelinet on THAT ACCOUNT'S balance. This "closing balance" method is of no use, worthless, not beneficial, however you want to put it. Don't fix what ain't broke Quicken.
  • I really like Gary587's idea of two columns, one for individual account balance and one for total balance!! Hurry up Quicken, let's make that change!! As stated before, the way it is now is USELESS!!
  • I hope the next revision undoes this. The consolidated closing balance is useless to me. I did watch the individual account closing balance every time I was in the program.
  • GaryG1GaryG1 Member
    I just noticed this this morning and freaked out, ahhhhhh, thought something got corrupted. What a pointless change. Bring back the individual account balance!
  • bhamil01bhamil01 Member ✭✭
    I completely agree. I need to see the running balance of each of my accounts separately. How can we get this fixed??
    I see there is a new update to Quicken today, has anyone here updated and if so did it fix this closing balance issue?
  • Paul Smith2Paul Smith2 Member ✭✭
    I can verify that R22.17 did not fix the problem. Quicken, this is a serious issue for longtime users...
    edited October 2019
    Paul Smith, I am very sorry to hear that but it does not surprise me.
    [removed - off-topic]
    My current workaround is to keep two machines. One machine has the latest update and the other machine is still running Quicken 19 Version R21.17 Build 21.71.21.17, which provides the correct closing balance for each transaction and each account as it has for the past many years.

My main desktop however has the latest update and I found I can do all my work there and then use that file to update the E21.17 Version and see the proper balances. A bit of a pain in the [removed], but it works. Does anyone here know how to get this to the attention of the right person to get it fixed? Frustrating to say the least.
  • mikemike Member ✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    This is fixed in R23.14 along with a bunch of other bill reminder issues. Thanks!
    Mike,
    I just updated my Quicken Premier 2019 yesterday and it is only Version R22.17 Build 27.1.22.17. How did you get R23.14? Thanks
    Mike,
    Here is a link to the latest updates I could find on Quicken Support
    https://www.quicken.com/support/20182019-release-quicken-windows-release-notes-subscription-product
    This shows 27.1.22.17 as latest update.
  • mikemike Member ✭✭
    I just go to Help->Check for Updates on the Quicken toolbar.
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Stay tuned.
    At this time, R 23.14 is on "limited release" to only a few thousand customers.
    It will be opened up in a few days to everyone, provided that there aren't any reports of severe problems with the new code.
    If you can't wait, keep looking at this webpage:
    https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-patch-20182019-release-quicken-windows-subscription-product
    Hover over the file name (download link) and watch the file name that pops up. Download and install the file when the file name contains 23.14 (or higher)

This discussion has been closed.