Tax Schedule - W2 question

When I run a Tax Schedule report, I see "Salary or wages, self" and separately "Salary or wages, self [employer name]", where my employer's name appears in brackets at the end. I see no difference in the two paycheck entries with the brackets from my other paychecks. Any thoughts on what might be causing the distinction?

Best Answer

• Peter Goergen
    Peter Goergen Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    No idea why, but the problem went away. I didn't modify the two paychecks, but they no longer include the bracketed employer name.

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    In that Tax Schedule Report, click on the items that do NOT have an Employer Name ... and see how that/those paychecks were set up.
    I suspect that you used the "Paycheck Tool" and didn't input the employer name for those transactions.
    You might want to pick a "typical" paycheck and memorize it ... so that you've got a baseline transaction to work from even if you paycheck varies from period to period.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Peter Goergen
    Peter Goergen Member ✭✭✭
    I appreciate the response, but I've never used the Paycheck Tool. I use a normal scheduled split transaction.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you referring to the Category column of the report? Usually items in [square brackets] in the Category column refer to transfers ot or from another account.

Do you have an account in Quicken that has the same name as your employer?

Or if you go to Tools > Category List is there a Category called "Salary or wages, self [employer name]" ?
    QWin Premier subscription
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I appreciate the response, but I've never used the Paycheck Tool. I use a normal scheduled split transaction.
    Either way, you need to examine the various transactions and see what's different between the 2 groups.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Peter Goergen
    Peter Goergen Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    No idea why, but the problem went away. I didn't modify the two paychecks, but they no longer include the bracketed employer name.
  • Peter Goergen
    Peter Goergen Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks anyway for the suggestions.
This discussion has been closed.