Quicken Will Not Print

Quicken Deluxe 2019, Version R22.12, Build 27.1.22.12
Windows 10, 64 bit, Version 1903
Brother MFC J4320DW Printer

Quicken will not print. I can print from all other applications installed on my computer. This has just started recently. I have used Quicken since its early beginning and never encountered any printing issues across multiple computers.

When trying to perform any print function from within Quicken, I get the following error message (see attached file).

Troubleshooting steps taken so far:

1. I only have 1 printer and it is set as default within Windows.
2. I have printed successfully from several other applications. Quicken is the only one affected.
3. I have reset the printer settings from within the error box.
4. I have shut down and rebooted the computer.
5. I have shut down and restarted the printer.
6. I have closed Quicken and restarted.
7. When I go to File > Printer Setup > For Printing Checks, I get the error message immediately. All other attempts to print from any print feature within Quicken result in the same message.

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • David Henderson
    David Henderson Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Thank for the help! Unfortunately, it did not resolve the issue. I quit Quicken and followed the directions to rename wpr.ini file. Once renamed, I launched Quicken and received the same error message. Next, I closed Quicken, rebooted the computer, launched Quicken and again, the error message.

All that being said, I may have found the reason. Knowing that anti-virus products can conflict with applications, I paused Kaspersky Internet Security, launched Quicken, clicked the PRINTER icon, and all seemed normal. I checked a few other print methods within Quicken and they all worked OK. Enabling the anti-virus again did not produce the print error message I'd received earlier.

So, for now, Quicken and Kaspersky are working well together. If the problem reoccurs, I'll add Quicken to Kaspersky's exclusion list and see what that does. If I continue to have problems after that, I'll ditch Kaspersky. Lots of other security options.

Again, thank you for assisting Greg!

EDIT: I was surprised to find that after re-namimg wpr.ini to wpr.ini(OLD) and relaunching Quicken as well as rebooting, Quicken did not re-create the file. The renamed file was still the only instance of wpr.ini. Shouldn't a new file have been created?
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Glad you got it resolved though it's puzzling why Kaspersky would interfere with printing.

Maybe you need to go to Printer Setup again.
  • I had some issues a couple months ago where the latest version of KIS (2020) was conflicting with Quicken. Reverting to the 2019 version solved that problem. I'm still with the 2019 version and this new issue just appeared (after a Quicken patch, I believe). I've used both programs for well over 10 years and they have played together well up until now.

As I post this message, the problem returns with the print error message. Pausing Kaspersky returns Quicken print function to normal. I'll exclude the Quicken files from Kaspersky scanning and see if that solves the problem.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    I would also notify Kaspersky. I use Norton and have not had it interfere with any other software package.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The link given you by @Greg_the_Geek is outdated and only applies to older Quicken versions.
    Please try this procedure instead:

How to Repair Printer Setup:

Try resetting your printer definitions in Quicken and then redefine the printer:

For Quicken for Windows versions 2009 and older:

• Close Quicken
    • Use Windows File Explorer to locate and rename the file
      C:\Users\_username_\AppData\Roaming\Intuit\Quicken\Config\WPR.DAT to WPR.OLD
    • Now set up your printer again, as described below. The WPR.DAT file will be recreated next time you start Quicken.

For Quicken for Windows 2010 and newer:

• Click File / File Operations / Validate and Repair. Click "Reset Quicken Printer Settings", then click OK.
    • Now set up your printer (see below)

Printer Setup (all versions):

• Close and restart Quicken (might not be necessary, but it can't hurt)
    • In Quicken click File / Printer Setup / For Printing  and visit all selections as needed
      (a) for Reports,
      (b) for Checks,
      (c) for Invoices [Quicken H&B, RPM users only]
      and define your printer.

If you're printing checks, do not forget to select the correct check style.

• For 3-per-page personal size checks choose "Wallet Checks (Check 21 ...)", not "Wallet Checks" (unless you still use some very old stock from many years ago)
    • For 3-per-page business size checks choose "Standard Checks", not "Voucher Checks".
    • For 1-per-page business size checks with 2 stubs choose "Voucher Checks".
    • Canadian users need to choose between 2 layout styles, e.g., old style "Voucher" vs. new style "Voucher - Image ready".

(Optional) If you are printing a logo (image) on your checks, click the Logo button and make sure that your logo image file is still where Quicken expects it to be.
    Also choose the proper features for printing partial pages when using 3-per-page stock.
    Users of continuous forms on dot matrix printers: Be sure to select "Continuous Forms" instead of "Page-oriented".

Make sure that at least one of your printers is marked as Windows Default Printer ... doesn't have to be the one you want to use with Quicken, but you need at least one marked Default Printer

In some of the newer versions of Windows 10 you may also need to do this:
    Go into Windows Settings or Control Panel, Printers & Scanners.
    Uncheck "Let Windows manage my default printer".

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I continue to have problems after that, I'll ditch Kaspersky.
    I would. They don't seem trustworthy.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Thank you UKR! I performed all the steps as you suggested. For now, I'll leave the Quicken files excluded from Kaspersky scanning and see how it goes. I'll post back if the issue reappears.
This discussion has been closed.