Itemized Categories Report Phantom Lines

For some reason the itemized categories report (new and saved) now displays a faint gray horizontal line at seemingly random intervals on the page. These lines show up on the printed report and look like a perforated line. I updated to Quicken for Windows R22.12 AFTER noticing this issue, and the lines are still there. I've used these reports forever without having this happen, any ideas on how to fix it?

Comments

• Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Laura S Lundgren

Thank you for taking the time to share the details of this issue with the Community, although I apologize that you have not yet received a response.

I checked in my copy of Quicken 2019 R22.12, but am unable to replicate this behavior and do not see a faint gray horizontal line so this may be specific to your file or installation.

If you haven't already, I would recommend running a Validate & Repair on the data file from the File menu > File Operations > Validate & Repair option.

In the Validate window that opens, mark only the top box for "Validate file" and click OK.

Once the validation has completed, a data log will open in Notepad that details what, if any, issues were found and repaired.  The log may be closed or saved for later, but when ready, please close and re-open Quicken and run the Itemized Categories report once more.

If the gray line still appears, are you able to upload a screenshot of the report?  (Personal information redacted to protect your privacy please)

Please let us know how it goes and if the line persists after the validation.

Thank you,

Sarah
  • Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could it be a printer problem?  Laser printers will do that. Have you printed a test page to rule that out?

Quicken Business & Personal Subscription, Windows 11 Home

• Fancy@
    Fancy@ Member
    I have the same problem and am on latest version ... did you ever get a real answer. I know the data is there and i can click on phantom line and it takes me to detail .... i just want a list showing detail
  • Fancy@
    Fancy@ Member
    i have a screenshot but dont see where to attach file here?
  • I ran validate and repair, but the line(s) are still showing up on the report. I ran a windows test print, and there is a faint gray line at the top of the page under "Windows Printer Test Page." I can't tell whether or not it's suppose to be there.
    I too have a screen shot but cannot figure out how to upload it, please advise.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    All versions of Quicken for Windows that I have used in the past and now print a very thin horizontal line on the report, typically every 3 detail lines. This line is supposed to be a visual aid, to help you read and follow a line across the report without losing your place or needing a ruler to stay on one line. Remember the old green-bar computer paper of the early days of computing? The green bars were your visual aid.
    When printed on paper, this line may be too thin and too faint to be printed all the time. It depends on the printer make and model, the printer resolution and the print quality.
    Review the report view that you first pull up in Quicken. It also shows the horizontal lines:
    After every 3 detail lines a horizontal line shows.
    This also shows in the Print Preview
    and, from there will show on paper if the printer delivers output at a quality and resolution that's good enough to allow this faint line to be printed.
    Please note: The line is only inserted after 3 transaction detail lines have been printed. It is not inserted regularly like clock work every 3 lines throughout the page.
    If the report prints subtotals or category header lines (like _DivInc in the first example) the horizontal line will be skipped.
    If the report does not print transaction detail but category subtotals only, there will be no horizontal lines.
  • Thank you for the information. The printed reports I have from 2 months ago don't have any lines. The newer reports have lines at random intervals on the page. It's odd, but I can live with it. Thank you!
This discussion has been closed.