US Bank reconciliation went bust

Using Q2019 Premier, version R21.17, build 21.1.21.17. Just reconciled my US Bank account with zero difference and matching the online bank balance. Hit done and found out my Q version of the account showed over -$300,000 balance. Checked account and reconciliation but found no anomalies. Restored my precious backup and have the same results.

What the heck? This is the second major Q burp in three weeks. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

Comments

• Diehard3
    Diehard3 Member
    This problem wouldn't appear to be with US Bank. My Q one step update went fine but the issue popped once I'd finished my reconciling the account with my monthly statement. The previous big burp was with the Discovercard account that was again, appeared to be within Q. Thanks
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello Diehard3,

Thank you for taking the time to come to the Community and post your issue, although I apologize that you haven't received a response.

I have a few questions.

When you restored a backup, was the discrepancy visible or did it reoccur after reconciling in like the first file?

If you take a look at the very first transaction in the register this is the opening balance, is the discrepancy here by chance?

Lastly, do you use the mobile or web and where is your Quicken data file stored?

The more information you can provide regarding this issue will help the Community to better understand and assist.

Thank you,

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • Diehard3
    Diehard3 Member
    Thanks for the contact. Keep data on my hard drive with additional back ups on external drives. Know discrepancy wasn't in the opening balance but not sure about your first question anymore. Continued to analyze and manipulate. Now thinking most of the problem related back to my first major issue a few weeks ago with my Discover Card account. Finally found the majority of the $300k error in US Bank was a duplication of Discover Card payments after having to reestablish the Discover account. Manually deleting those, I'm now down to about a $2k difference. If I still can't find the glitch by the time my Discover statement arrives this month, I plan to make adjustment once it's reconciled. That should get me balanced and working again.

Thanks,
    dbs
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's try to correct the reconcile issue.
    Pull out your old USB statements, and work backwards until you find a Date and Amount, in Q, that match the Ending Balance on one of those old statements.
    The problem is somewhere AFTER that point.
    SO, Select ALL of the transactions after that point and change them to "c" (Cleared).
    Then, re-reconcile month-by-month coming up to the present.
    Unless there are multiple errors, once you correct the 1st issue ... the Reconciles should fly with but a few keystrokes per reconciliation.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Diehard3
    Diehard3 Member
    Thanks for the contact. US Bank account's straight again after reconciling duplicate Discover Card payments. Reconciled the Oct Discover statement and went back through all 2019 statements but still had an error of about $2k. With almost 20 years of Discover transactions and an incomplete history of statements, I made a cost-benefit call and went with an account adjustment after the Oct reconciliation and will go forward from here. Thanks again for the assistance!
This discussion has been closed.