Quicken freezes, tool bars disappear, flickering

Quicken Deluxe 2019 version R22.12 on Windows 10
Quicken launches and I did a One Step update with no problem. When I select an account to view activity and accept transactions Quicken jumps around, the tool bars disappear, the pointer changes to a hand, and the screen keeps refreshing. I wait for the hourglass to disappear and try again. Same result. I have to close Quicken via the task manager since there are no tool bars. I have restarted several times and it works for a few transactions and starts the same issues again.

I ran a full diagnostic on my laptop and no issues were found. All other programs are working fine.

My main bank is Chase. My One Step update includes Fidelity investments, Wells Fargo, Barclay, American Express and CitiBank. There were no errors on the One Step update.

Any suggestions?

Best Answers

• Ellie Gutman
    Ellie Gutman Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Greg_the-Geek: There is no current QDF in USERS\ELLIE\DOCUMENTS\QUICKEN - just an old QUICKEN RESTORE-2016-06-02 in a folder labeled Q15Files and another folder called VALIDATE. The BACKUP folder is empty.

Looking at all the responses, it appears Dropbox may be the problem. I will no longer designate Dropbox when I perform a backup. I have always assumed when Quicken did an automatic backup it was going to my hard drive and that was the data file Quicken worked with. I thought the manual backup was just for safety if my hard drive crashed. Believe it or not, I have been using Quicken for 25 years. I just never really looked under the hood.

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

If you haven't rebooted Windows since you installed the latest software update, please do so now and then try Quicken again.

Still not working?

Let's try some "Troubleshooting 101" to ensure the Quicken software is installed and updated properly and that your data file is in good working order.
    Please perform all the steps in this document:
    Troubleshooting 101 - Fixing Software Installation and Data File Problems

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you have Controlled Folder Access enabled in Windows Defender? What is the path to the folder that contains your Quicken data file? Are you using OneDrive, Dropbox or Google Backup?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Ellie Gutman
    Ellie Gutman Member ✭✭
    Controlled Folder Access if NOT enabled in Windows Defender. Should it be?
    I alternate between and external drive (E:\QUICKEN 2019\ and Dropbox (C:USERS\ELLIE\DROPBOX\) to back-up Quicken data.
  • Ellie Gutman
    Ellie Gutman Member ✭✭
    UKR: I downloaded & installed the US Mondo Patch Update. Nothing changed. About Quicken still indicates version R22.12, build 27.1.22.12. Quicken frequently updates when I launch it so I assume I am current.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    If Controlled Folder Access is enabled, an exception has to be made for the Quicken executable. You're better of with it disabled. What is the path to the folder that contains your Quicken data file?
  • Ellie Gutman
    Ellie Gutman Member ✭✭
    E:\QUICKEN RESTORE-2019-10-08.QDF
    C:\USERS\ELLIE\DROPBOX\QUICKEN RESTORE-2019-10-07.QDF
    Are these not my Quicken Data files? If not, where should they be?
  • Greg_the_Geek
    They should be in C:\USERS\ELLIE\Documents\Quicken. 
  • Ellie Gutman
    Ellie Gutman Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Greg_the-Geek: There is no current QDF in USERS\ELLIE\DOCUMENTS\QUICKEN - just an old QUICKEN RESTORE-2016-06-02 in a folder labeled Q15Files and another folder called VALIDATE. The BACKUP folder is empty.

Looking at all the responses, it appears Dropbox may be the problem. I will no longer designate Dropbox when I perform a backup. I have always assumed when Quicken did an automatic backup it was going to my hard drive and that was the data file Quicken worked with. I thought the manual backup was just for safety if my hard drive crashed. Believe it or not, I have been using Quicken for 25 years. I just never really looked under the hood.
  • Ellie Gutman
    Ellie Gutman Member ✭✭
    Thanks to Everyone who commented!
This discussion has been closed.