Problem with "One Step Update"

AllanB
AllanB Member ✭✭
edited October 2019 in Investing (Windows)
I have two files that I regularly update. One file responds after getting password to update all accounts on that file. The second file requires me to go into settings and click "all" or it just updates the items listed under "online services" How can I correct this?

Comments

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    A little confused.... do you mean using One Step Update - and it's options -
    1 - One file responds after getting password to update all accounts on that file.
    Do you mean using the Password Vault -
    and - Auto Update when starting Quicken
    2 - The second file requires me to go into settings and click "all"
    or it just updates the items listed under "online services"
    So -
    Do you use the Password Vault on BOTH of these Quicken files
    Do you have the Preferences set for Auto Update on BOTH of this Quikcen files

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• AllanB
    AllanB Member ✭✭
    I use update icon to update each file. I enter my vault password when it is requested. In one file it automatically updates all accounts. In the second data file it will only update all the accounts if I go to setting and check all. Why are the two different data files acting differently. Thank you.
  • AllanB
    AllanB Member ✭✭
    i cannot find "auto update" in the preferences menu. Please advise
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    AllanB said:
    i cannot find "auto update" in the preferences menu. Please advise
    my poor choice of wording....
    What are the exact steps and screens you use to start these updates...

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    AllanB said:
     In the second data file it will only update all the accounts
    if I go to setting and check all.
    When you get to this point and check ALL -
    then at the bottom, click APPLY - and Update - see if things are saved for next time

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What version of Quicken are you running? Go to Help > About Quicken and let us know what it says there.

It sounds like you are using One Step Update (clicking on the circular arrow icon) and in one of your data files it does not remember the accounts you have selected. I have not seen this problem, but here are some thing to try that might help narrow it down:

-- Does it matter which file you update first in a session? Is it always the same file that has the problem, or is it the second file you attempt to update?

-- Open Quicken then open the problem file then click the circular OSU icon. When it prompts for the Vault password, enter it then click on Settings. Select the accounts you want to update then click on Apply. This should force it to save your settings.

Click on Close.

Click the OSU icon again. Are your settings remembered now?

QWin Premier subscription
  • AllanB
    AllanB Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    PS56k: The word apply does not appear, only Update Now and cancel

Jim: After clicking All, apply is not there. The order that I update does not make a difference the same one always works and the other always requires setting> all
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are all the account boxes checked in OSU Settings?

Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • AllanB
    AllanB Member ✭✭
    Please read original post. I know I can click all but why every time. thanks anyway
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    As @Jim_Harman asked, does it matter which file you update first? Also, if you check all the boxes before running OSU, are they still checked in Settings after the OSU?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    How are you switching between the two different QDF files...
    Since the last QDF file accessed will be the one that Quicken opens when re-started.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• AllanB
    AllanB Member ✭✭
    That problem has been solved. My concern is updating my accounts in each of the files i.e. not having to go into settings every time.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    AllanB said:
    That problem has been solved. My concern is updating my accounts in each of the files i.e. not having to go into settings every time.
    We all are trying to figure out what might be the exact sequence of steps that might be causing this anomoly.... We are not looking over your shoulder at your screen, so we have to play 20 questions to get specific on the details -
    Also updated the Topic Title to betterr reflect an actual Q&A -
    Since this seems to be too much to ask.... - I think I'm done with this thread....

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Jim_Harman
    @AllanB,
    You have not said what version of Quicken you are running. With QWin US Subscription R22.12 I always see an Apply button at the bottom of the OSU settings window. Clicking this forces Quicken to save the curent settings.

Are you running a different version and/or seeing something different?
  • AllanB
    AllanB Member ✭✭
    Quicken 2017 premier version R19.7

p.s. direct reply was not accepted
  • Jim_Harman
    AllanB said:
    Quicken 2017 premier version R19.7

p.s. direct reply was not accepted
    OK, that explains why you don't have an Apply button. Someone who is running that version will have to weigh in on whether it has issues with remembering OSU settings.

And with this forum you can't reply to an email notification, you must come to the website and reply here.
  • AllanB
    AllanB Member ✭✭
    Understood. Is there a different forum to go to or do I just wait for someone to address my issue? Thanks for your help.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have QW2017 and I have not had an issue with OSU settings being lost, but it is rare that I download into a second file and I've never had "different" settings in different files.  By that I mean that both files download from all applicable accounts even though those accounts would be different for the different files.  So I am not sure how much I can help.

The point of the question about sequence (does it matter which file is downloaded first) is that for some Quicken versions, some settings are 'global' and apply to all files and some settings are 'local' and only apply to the current file.  

In that same vein of global or local, are both files stored in the same folder on your local hard drive?  (Thinking perhaps the some settings for the misbehaving file are getting to a locale that is subsequently lost.)
  • AllanB
    AllanB Member ✭✭
    I have two totally separate data files. Each has its own accounts, with investment and banking. I access each at the end of the day to update. With file one, I need to to click on ALL or just just get the online services. With file two, I update and it automatically updates all accounts. These data files are stored in the same folder along with daily backups. I can not find any thing different in preferences.
  • AllanB
    AllanB Member ✭✭
    i forgot to say they are actually stored in an external drive connected to my computer. Both data files are in the same folder.
This discussion has been closed.