How best to record monthly investment activity for brokerages that don' t download - like M1 Finance

My Brokerage - M1 Finance does not download, and invests in partial shares. SO How to set up an investment account in quicken, where one only wishes to record month end security share balances, as well as recording dividends/gains received- and cash deposits or withdrawals. While dividends/gains are reinvested, by posting month end security share balances no need to detail enter the reinvestments.

Best Answer

Answers

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes - would agree with the aboe -
    Add the M1 account manually, and track it manually with ALL transactions... Buy, Sell, Re-Invest, Divs, etc - otherwise you don't really know what you have other than the current market value.  And, as you want to know the Market Value, it is good to enter/update the Price at the end of the month as you were going to do - as the Share Balance should already match... since you have already entered all the transactions.
    I manually tracked a 529 college account - had only a handful of transactions a year, and each month merely updated the Price to reflect the current Market Value.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Thank you both (UKR) and (ps56k) for your responses. You convinced me I need to have the detail transactions. I have many a month. Found I can get a CSV file from their clearing company so now - How, if at all possible, can a CSV file be used to import into the quicken investment account.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you both (UKR) and (ps56k) for your responses. You convinced me I need to have the detail transactions. I have many a month. Found I can get a CSV file from their clearing company so now - How, if at all possible, can a CSV file be used to import into the quicken investment account.
    If you haven't already, you may want to consider: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com
This discussion has been closed.