How to change the account a transaction is posted to in Quicken for Mac?

Unlike credit card transactions where it is possible to edit the card a transaction is posted to, in Investing, when editing a transaction that I have entered to the wrong investment account, I can select a different account (just like with a cc transaction) but after pushing the [save] button the transaction reverts to the original account. I would assume it is a bug because the dropdown account list should not appear if the account could not be changed, but the dropdown appearing may be the bug. Any thoughts?

Best Answer

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Just trying to understand: you entered a transaction in the wrong Quicken account, or you have a Payment/Deposit transaction with a Transfer to/from the wrong Quicken account?

The latter is the only place you see an account name in investment registers. If that's what you're describing, then what field are you editing the account name in: Description/Category or Transfer? 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • mtimkovich
    mtimkovich Member ✭✭
    When you click on one of the categories on the left hand menu (All Transactions; Banking; Credit Cards; Investing; Property/Debt; Debt; etc.) and chose to display "Transactions" rather than "Income", "Portfolio", or another option, the last column displayed on my set up is the Quicken account that the transaction occurred in. Pressing [command][e] allows the editing of the highlighted transaction. I haven't tried all variants, but date, payee, amount, etc. will change when I save the edit. Under the credit card category I frequently need the change the card account, which works. Under Investing, the save key just reverts the Quicken account to the first entered account name.
    There was an entirely different procedure that worked very well in the Windows version.
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    The only investment register transactions that you can move from one account to another are payment/deposit type of transaction. Moving other types (eg. buy, sell) must be accomplished by using Add/Remove shares, or Transfer Shares (which generates Add and Remove shares transactions).
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • mtimkovich
    mtimkovich Member ✭✭
    The most frequent mistake I make is entering "Dividend Income" (the deposit/payment type of transaction in your answer) without double checking that I have pressed the track pad firmly enough to have moved to the correct account. In edit mode I can "correct" the account, eg. change "Brokerage" account to "Roth 401" but pressing the [save] button reverts the displayed account to the originally entered "Brokerage" account.
  • mtimkovich
    mtimkovich Member ✭✭
    I was excited that your second paragraph description of the "normal" way to move a transaction in Quicken MAC was to click and drag the transaction was the answer I was looking for; it sounds like Windows file management at work. I tried the process as described; when I drag the transaction over to the sidebar a character, the O with a back slash, indicating an error appears. It sounds like I either need to pay more attention or get used to continue to delete and reenter transactions.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Again, you can't move a transaction between investment accounts; you must move shares or funds. You can move transactions between Banking accounts.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.