Gain/Loss (edited to clarify meaning)

Options
John@138
John@138 Member ✭✭
edited October 2019 in Reports (Windows)
Hi, would it be possible to get G/L YTD under the investing tab? It has 1,3 and 1 year but not YTD

Best Answer

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Investing Performance aka Average Annual Return aka Internal Rate of Return is not Gain/Loss. 

I'll further caution this user and all users to make sure they understand the not-so-obvious aspects.  In the case of Gain/Loss over limited time frames, shares acquired within that time period are not included in the G/L determination.  That is, if I have 100 shares at the beginning of the period (say 1-month), the G/L for that period is for those 100 shares, even if I end the period with 150 or 1000 shares.  I did not test if some shares are sold during the period, which has an additional question as to the G/L status of those sold shares.  Always test for yourself in addition to checking Help explanations.  

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Options
    You can print a report to get that information. Under the Reports tab, select "Investing", then select "Investing Performance". You can then change the "Subtotal By:" drop-down to "Security" to see the "Returns" and "Average Annual Return" by security.

To the best of my knowledge, you cannot display that information in the "Investing Tab".

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Investing Performance aka Average Annual Return aka Internal Rate of Return is not Gain/Loss. 

I'll further caution this user and all users to make sure they understand the not-so-obvious aspects.  In the case of Gain/Loss over limited time frames, shares acquired within that time period are not included in the G/L determination.  That is, if I have 100 shares at the beginning of the period (say 1-month), the G/L for that period is for those 100 shares, even if I end the period with 150 or 1000 shares.  I did not test if some shares are sold during the period, which has an additional question as to the G/L status of those sold shares.  Always test for yourself in addition to checking Help explanations.  
This discussion has been closed.