Home Quicken for Mac Product Ideas - Quicken for Mac Product Enhancements (Mac)

Don’t pop-up advertisements to paying customers (+52 Merged Votes) [edited]

Comments

• jacobsjacobs SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with the anti-advertising sentiments above. But trying to look at this dispassionately, these promotional deals Quicken does with third-party companies are obviously a piece of their revenue model. So while it's easy for us to say "make the ads go away!" I think the real question to users is whether we'd be willing to pay a little more to Quicken for them to not have these deals that push ads at us. Of course, none of us knows how much money they take in on these deals, so it's impossible to guess if they'd need 50¢ or $1 or $5 per user to make the ads go away.

My experience has been that these offers come along pretty infrequently, and so if clicking two buttons to dismiss the ad helps keep the price of Quicken down, I'm okay with that; it takes me two seconds. If the ads became more frequent, I'd be more annoyed about it, but it seems to me they come less than once a month. Again, I agree with those who say we're paying for the software so it should be ad/"offer" free -- but I don't think I'd want to pay more for Quicken to replace their ad revenue with more money from me.
    QMac 2007 & QMac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • hwy86hwy86 Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    (Removed-Rant)
  • Quicken MarcusQuicken Marcus Employee ✭✭✭✭
    RCinNJ said:
    barbaraok said:
    Look forward to trying the new features. But angry that I have advertising intruding as I try to use the program. Why do I pay to have myself bombarded by advertising. There is no "NO" button, just a learn more button!
    100% agree!
    Sorry, what advertising are you seeing?  Is it for Quicken-branded services?  One person's advertisement is another person's opportunity.  We had a bunch of people take advantage of the savings account and credit cards. Heck, I got my free $400 bucks when my wife and son each signed up individually for a Quicken Savings account.  I don't mind free money :-).  I guess I wouldn't personally characterize it as being bombarded but maybe we're talking about 2 different things or we have different levels of sensitivity which is fine. 

In any case, those pop-ups only appear once when you launch the product and then you can dismiss them by clicking the close button in the upper left corner like all Mac windows.  They may appear again if marketing pushes them for a new campaign but that shouldn't happen very often.
  • BobTBobT Member ✭✭
    This afternoon I started Quicken and annoying advertising window appeared over my data. It was for Quicken/Allstate Identity Protection. The only way I could get rid of it was to click on "Learn More" - not acceptable! And, clicking the button took me to Quicken.com! When contacting Quicken support they advised me that "Quicken does not do advertising within our products. However, it's obvious Quicken does. If this is being done I'm beginning to be concerned about whether the data I have loaded into my Quicken product can be compromised. For sure, I do not expect advertising on top of a product that I have subscribed to and would prefer not to see any in the future.
  • jsely56jsely56 Member ✭✭
    Current Offer "advertisements" is a very UNWELCOME! new feature for a service that I buy on a 2-year subscription. How dare you change the terms of your customer relationship to insert commercials for products I don't want to see! Do you want to start reimbursing subscription rates already paid?
  • Great. Thanks for this, but please knock it off with the ads...sorry..."offers". It was a surprisingly class-less move.
  • RCinNJRCinNJ Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    RCinNJ said:
    barbaraok said:
    Look forward to trying the new features. But angry that I have advertising intruding as I try to use the program. Why do I pay to have myself bombarded by advertising. There is no "NO" button, just a learn more button!
    100% agree!

... In any case, those pop-ups only appear once when you launch the product and then you can dismiss them by clicking the close button in the upper left corner like all Mac windows.  They may appear again if marketing pushes them for a new campaign but that shouldn't happen very often.
    Marcus, thanks for monitoring and replying, it is appreciated! The good news is I'm not seeing reports of major problems for this update so I'm going to install it.

Yes, the pop-ups are for Quicken approved sales pitches. It would be better if there was a button that said "don't show me this again". My experience on this one matches what you said, however, not knowing that just closing the window will prevent it showing again (i.e. the same as a button saying "don't show me this again") is not intuitive and leads to unnecessary confusion.
  • MN DannyMN Danny Member ✭✭
    I received an ad for Allstate when I opened Quicken today. I do not do any business with Allstate.

Quicken - that is completely out of bounds. This is a paid service and ads aren't part of the bargain.
  • RickORickO SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got the same Allstate ad. I agree that it is out of bounds.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • jsely56jsely56 Member ✭✭
    This "feature" just appeared in my Quicken for Mac application. I am quite upset that the terms of my two-year subscription were changed to allow pop-up advertisements.
  • BruceACBruceAC Member
    I have been using Quicken since it was a DOS product. i have never been as upset with Quicken as I am after seeing a pop up add for an Allstate insurance product. Anyone else?
  • Nathan TooneNathan Toone Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    [removed - violation of community guidelines/rant]

I'm paying (and not a small amount) annually for using Quicken, and you're hawking Allstate Insurance to me?

If I wanted something to display advertisements, I wouldn't be paying for Quicken.

[removed - violation of community guidelines/rant]
  • Nathan TooneNathan Toone Member ✭✭
    Yes - it can be disabled by going to "Close my offers"...but who knows if it will come back on its own (it better not... :neutral: )
  • CasperCasper Member ✭✭
    P.S., agree that the ads are no bueno.
  • jhspencejhspence Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
     I just had to click through an Allstate ad. [removed - rant]
  • twf95twf95 Member ✭✭
    Agree with the consensus. Do away with the ads. I am a home user and have used Quicken since the 90's. I do not do heavy investing or bill paying with this software, just basic banking/reconciliation. I tolerated the required update every 3 years. Now there is a yearly subscription fee which appears to be about the cost of the software that I was purchasing every 3 years. So basically fees have tripled and you want to spam me with ads?! Having sync issues EVERY time you choose to upgrade my software, there is a good chance I will not be a customer after my subscription ends.
  • jacobsjacobs SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree that the ads are undesirable. But… They come up once every couple months, and take 3 seconds to dismiss. In less than the time it took to type any of the messages above, one could dismiss all the ads that come up over a year.

Again, I wish they would get rid of the "offers" like most users, but I guess I don't understand why it's such a big deal creating "Hate, HATE HATE!!!!" 
    QMac 2007 & QMac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • StrazStraz Member ✭✭
    Tonight I saw something from Quicken Deluxe 2019 for Mac (Version 5.13.0, Build 513.30536.100 on macOS 10.15) I've never seen before and REALLY don't like, a pop-under ad window for Allstate Identity Protection.

I don't mind paying an annual fee for Quicken, but absolutely do not want to both pay an annual fee and then still have ads imposed on me. Paid customers should, at the very least, be given a preference setting to turn off all such ads.
  • dgrasherdgrasher Member
    edited November 2019
    Do you seriously not realize your clients use Quicken for security and peace of mind with our finances? Think about it. How would you react if one of your trusted work confidants told you they shared your personal information with someone that asked you about them because they didn't think you would mind? What motivated you to do this? [removed - rant]
  • QUICKEN, I paid for a year subscription. Please stop sending us advertising via a pop up window in the application. Also we should not have to dig into menus to turn off advertisements. I like the application however it is wrong for you to send us any types of ads via application pop ups because we did not download it as freeware or trial version. I have been a faithful user for many years please stop messing up the application!
This discussion has been closed.