Investing Account Amount Is Invisible

The investment amount is invisible when the record is not selected. If the record is selected then the investment amount is visible. This occurs on Withdraw transactions only.

Comments

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you are saying that when you are looking at a Withdraw transaction in an investing account's transaction list (register), if the transaction is selected an amount is shown in the "Inv. Amt" column but if the transaction is not selected, no amount is shown, as shown in the screenshot below. Do I have this right?

Note that if the if the list is in 1-line mode, it switches to 2-line mode when you select the transaction and different fields such as the check number and the Category are shown. When you are entering a transaction in 2-line mode, the prompt in that field is "Amount".

BTW Deposit Transactions work the same way.

It is perhaps confusing, but I would guess that it is working as designed.

QWin Premier subscription
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looking at this further, you can see that Quicken is trying to display a lot of information in a limited space. I think the column headings attempt to describe what is shown below when the transaction is not selected. That would be consistent with no "Inv. Amt" showing for cash transactions, but why it shows the Payee in the Security column for cash transactions is anyone's guess.

When the transaction is selected, the fields change depending on the transaction type and it is hard to tell what is being shown because once there is a value in a field the prompt goes away.

It appears that the Cash Amt and Cash Bal columns are always computed and not used for data entry. Those columns are not present if the account is a single mutual fund account or it has a linked checking account.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • SpokaneJim
    SpokaneJim Member ✭✭
    Hello Jim. I appreciate your response yet I don't understand why Quicken behaves the way it does.

Here is a link (https://i.imgur.com/IZh0tY6.jpg) to an image demonstrating the behavior. The first record is selected and shows a -1634 transaction. The next record is not selected the cash amount is not visible until I select the record.

It is frustrating to record 401k sales in Quicken in in Quicken. It should be simple. Sell the security creates a cash balance then record transactions to my checking account and one to the IRS. Grrr... Tired of this.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Without seeing the headers in your graphic, we can't tell for sure WHAT you're displaying.  Because there are multiple "amount" fields in an Investment register.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• SpokaneJim
    SpokaneJim Member ✭✭
    Thanks for the response NotACPA. Below is a url to a new image including the header names. The first transaction / record is selected and the amount appears. In the second the amount is invisible when the record is not select but visible when the record / transaction is selected.

https://imgur.com/82gOEBE

Thank you.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just did some experimenting in my file re: this issue.
    I THINK it's because these are CASH ONLY transactions ... and the amount of the transaction is showing in the "Cash Amt" and "Cash Bal" fields ... which you aren't showing.
    I.E., there's no security involved in these transactions ... and thus "Investments" aren't involved.
    Which, I realize, doesn't explain why there are balances in these fields when they ARE highlighted ... but at least it's a theory.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

This discussion has been closed.