BMO Bank of Montreal error OL-221-A - QWin (updated title)

I have tried to do this several times and always get the same error -- only been happening today and doesn't happen on any other financial institutions.

Best Answers

• bbartonbbarton ✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    > @Sue Hoople Lucas said:
    > > @bbarton said:
    > >
    > Have a question -- how do I download to a file -- my downloads automatically go to Quicken and update
    > (when and if it's working)

Hey Sue, you have an option to save the file instead of opening it when you click on download in BMO online. It will save it to your downloading folder, from there, you can use notepad or wordpad to open and edit the file

Hope that helps and answers your question?

Answers

• bbartonbbarton Member ✭✭
    I am having the same issue, same institution
  • Nancy SejNancy Sej Member
    Me too -- trying to search older posts to see if this happened before
  • j.patter62j.patter62 Member ✭✭
    I just updated to Quicken for Mac v5.13 and when I get the error "unable to read the selected Web Connect file". It says to contact my bank, but the bank file format hasn't changed - just Quicken
  • jrmcjrmc Member
    :( Me too. BMO Quit working after my subscription auto renewed. Didn't work before updating and doesn't work after updating to 2019 R22.11. RBC & Capital One still work.
  • dblesliedbleslie Member
    Me as well. Everything started with the latest update. After many hours of work due to duplicate transaction downloads it work for a day via downloading from the account side. Quicken gave me a successful One Step update once but fails now. I have deactivated the one step update and tried to set up again and it fails.
    I also can no longer download from the banks website, which I noticed uses an OFX file that is not an option for file Import.
  • maple_leafs_67maple_leafs_67 Member ✭✭
    I also just started receiving the OL-221-A message when downloading the QFX Web Connect file from BMO. QFX download still works for my RBC accounts and my BMO MasterCard accounts, but not the BMO bank accounts.
  • > @maple_leafs_67 said:
    > I compared the recent failing BMO QFX file against my last known BMO QFX file that worked on October 16. I noticed the recent failing BMO QFX file has a malformed terminating tag at the bottom of the file. “<“ should be “</OFX>”. This appears to be a bug related to BMO’s online banking download feature.

Have you contacted BMO about this? It appears they are doing some fixes today.
  • SuzychowSuzychow Member
    I get this message when attempting to download my transactions from Bank of Montreal.
    > @"Sue Hoople Lucas" said:
    > > @maple_leafs_67 said:
    > > I compared the recent failing BMO QFX file against my last known BMO QFX file that worked on October 16. I noticed the recent failing BMO QFX file has a malformed terminating tag at the bottom of the file. “<“ should be “</OFX>”. This appears to be a bug related to BMO’s online banking download feature.
    >
    > Have you contacted BMO about this? It appears they are doing some fixes today.

It wasn’t clear to me how to effectively contact them. I sent them a message from online banking.
  • bbartonbbarton Member ✭✭
    I also sent a message as the wait time is 20-40 minutes on the phone. So I have been manually entering my transactions until this gets resolved
  • I also sent a message from ONline banking yesterday before I opened this up.
  • TdcTdc Member
    Starting today I also am receiving OL-221-A error when downloading into Quicken. Nothing comes thru. I have emailed BMO.
  • jfariesjfaries Member
    When I try to download banking information from my Bank of Montreal chequing and savings accounts I get an error message OL-221-A.

I see that same problem was happening with Vanguard.
  • lonnemonealonnemonea Member
    edited November 3
    I can't download from The Bank of Montreal checking account. I can download from BMO Mastercard account. Can you help?
  • RobLazenbyRobLazenby Member
    I am getting the same error (except it is OL-221-A). I've been using Quicken and BoM together for years but now the two won't talk. The OL-221-A error looks to be a common recent occurrence with a lot of financial institutions.
  • jncutler62jncutler62 Member
    Have successfully used Quicken for several years and starting this weekend I have started getting an OL-221-A error when trying to update my Bank of Montreal cash accounts. I have tried several tricks including re-installing the software with no success.
  • clamptownclamptown Member ✭✭
    Same problem here. OL-221A and OL-221-B errors on downloads. Is this a Quicken or a BMO issue?
  • > @clamptown said:
    > Same problem here. OL-221A and OL-221-B errors on downloads. Is this a Quicken or a BMO issue?

BMO issue since it works for all other Financial institutions that I access.
    Sent BMO an email but have heard nothing.
  • PeterPeter Member ✭✭
    edited November 4
    Above problems continue with BMO chequing and savings account downloads. Are there any strategies that we can use to fix on the user end?
    3:54 pm, no resolution. Also email to BMO, no response. Other financial institution data able to download effectively.
  • Ian SutherlandIan Sutherland Member ✭✭
    Suddenly today my BMO account transaction downloads are not working, I'm getting the OL-221 error. From what I'm reading here it seems there might be an issue with BMO. Can anyone confirm? Any fix coming?
  • PLangePLange Member
    Cannot download account details from BMO, getting also error OL-221-A
  • SystemSystem Member ✭✭✭
    This discussion was created from comments split from: OL-322 still a problem.
  • PLangePLange Member
    Cannot download account transactions from BMO
  • mprobbleemprobblee Member
    Unable to process BMO download from my accounts. OL-221-A
  • jncutler62jncutler62 Member
    I have used Quicken with BMO for several years with no issues. Starting Nov 2, stated getting error OL-221-A on my cash accounts. Credit cards are fine. Any solutions.
  • storozjstorozj Member
    Submitted a request to BMO as well - no response as of yet
  • kwbuggykwbuggy Member
    > I am having the same issue, same institution since Sunday again this morning
  • gersomgersom Member ✭✭
    I have found a temporary fix. Thanks to maple_leafs_67 sleuthing I opened my .qfx file and saw the offending line at the bottom of the file (I used Wordpad but Notepad should work too.) I then added the missing letters "OFX>", saved it, and then double clicked the file. Quicken then updated the information properly. This work-around does the job but BMO has to fix their end of the issue.
    I received a response from BMO that the operations team is aware of the issue and they are working on a fix.
This discussion has been closed.