Transactions Disappear, Once Cleared

I've been using Quicken since 1992. A couple of weeks ago, after an update, my CLEARED transactions began to disappear from my register, causing my balance to be incorrect. I was clearing them manually when I noticed. Now, when I download transactions from my bank, and "accept" them, they also disappear, despite the fact that I have my register preferences set at "All Dates" "Any Type" "All Transactions." Obviously, I can set the register to show ONLY cleared transactions, and they show, but, moving the cleared transactions out of the main register is affecting my balance. This is maddening, and, as others have said, render my Quicken useless, after all these years. I've searched the community and found several who have been losing transactions, but none of these threads pertain to just CLEARED transactions. I've tried the "verify and repair" function, to no avail. I'm running Quicken - Home Business and Rental Property, 2019, Version R22.17, Build 27.1.22.17 in Windows 10.

Comments

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    If you haven’t already, you may want to verify the register is sorted appropriately and there aren’t any unexpected filters being applied:  open the register, select the Date column header (you want the small triangle to right of Date to point up) and Reset.
  • Randy
    Randy Member ✭✭
    > @Sherlock said:
    > If you haven’t already, you may want to verify the register is sorted appropriately and there aren’t any unexpected filters being applied:  open the register, select the Date column header (you want the small triangle to right of Date to point up) and Reset.

Thank you, Sherlock. Gave it a go...no dice. :(
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Are you Syncing to Mobile/Web?
    Do you use the Mobile app on your smartphone or the Quicken on the Web feature?

If no, turn Sync off completely. You don't need it.

If yes, try to Reset Sync so that the current cloud sync file is replaced with a fresh complete copy
    Do note that a full Sync process may take many minutes to complete.

Log out of your mobile app, then do this on your desktop / laptop:

How to reset Sync to Cloud

1. Go to Edit / Preferences / Quicken ID, Sync & Alerts
    2. Under the "Mobile and Web" group to the right, if present, click the "Reset your cloud data" link and follow the instructions until it is complete.

How to turn off Sync to Cloud for the current data file

1. Go to Edit / Preferences / Quicken ID, Sync & Alerts
    2. Click the "Sign in as a different user" link immediately above the "Mobile and Web" group.
    3. Sign out, then sign back in to your Quicken account using your current (correct) Quicken ID.
    4. If the current data file was actively synced to mobile prior to signing out,  the following screen will present a "Use mobile" / "Don't use mobile" choice. Make sure you select the "Don't use mobile" option and move through the remainder of the process. 
      [Please note: The mobile sync option is the default here.]

• Randy
    Randy Member ✭✭
    > @UKR said:
    > Are you Syncing to Mobile/Web?
    >
    > Do you use the Mobile app on your smartphone or the Quicken on the Web feature?

Thank you, @UKR. I don't use the mobile app on my smartphone, and, so far, sync to the web has failed ever since I started using the subscription instead of getting my Quicken on disc. Still, it begs the question, why did this start all of a sudden? As I said, I've been using quicken since '92 and NEVER has anything like this happened before. Which reminds me, when I go to print my invoices, using Quicken PDF printer, it says "printer is not set up." This is another annoying problem that occured after the latest update. I've never had trouble with printing PDFs. I'll perform these gyrations and see if it helps. Thank you, again.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    If you haven't already,I suggest you perform a clean uninstall, install and update.  If you haven’t already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Randy said:
    > @UKR said:
    > Are you Syncing to Mobile/Web?
    >
    > Do you use the Mobile app on your smartphone or the Quicken on the Web feature?

Thank you, @UKR. I don't use the mobile app on my smartphone, and, so far, sync to the web has failed ever since I started using the subscription instead of getting my Quicken on disc. ...
    If Sync is enabled, yet, as you stated, it fails all the time ... why do you Sync at all? Turn it off! This may fix your issue with disappearing transactions.
    @sherlock 's answer should resolve your PDF printer problem. If not, let us know.
  • Randy
    Randy Member ✭✭
    > @UKR said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > If Sync is enabled, yet, as you stated, it fails all the time ... why do you Sync at all? Turn it off! This may fix your issue with disappearing transactions.@sherlock 's answer should resolve your PDF printer problem. If not, let us know.

Thank you, again, @UKR. But, there's no need to yell. ;) I performed all of the steps up to and including a clean uninstall/install. I then uploaded the file that I'd backed up, and, lo and behold....there were still no "cleared" transactions. The good news is, the re-install called my attention to the little "cog" in the upper right corner. I'd never really paid much attention to it before, but, decided to dink around with the settings there. So, I clicked on the cog, got the dropdown menu, noticed the heading "register views and preferences", then, I saw the subcategory "sorting options", and I clicked on that. The dropdown menu gave me many options. It was set on "by status." Seemed right to me, but, I decided to play with the settings. FAST FORWARD>>>>>>> after clicking on several of the settings, I finally clicked sort "by date." VOILA - my cleared transactions returned to my register and the world is good again. My balance is still off by about 600.00 but, I guess that's my next hurdle. I thought that once I'd restored "cleared" transactions, that would be corrected. I was wrong. I suspect that, during the last update, that, somehow, my setting was changed to "by status", because, as I said, I barely even knew that icon was there, had not clicked on it...EVER, that I know of, and definitely didn't change it. Which now begs even more questions: Why have register options in the "EDIT" menu; why set ALL DATES - ANY TYPE - ALL TRANSACTIONS, if that's not what you'll get if you change something somewhere else, and; why make it so complicated with preferences in two different places (one so obscure) and one not speaking with the other. Anyway -- my problem is solved, albeit with great frustration and aggravation, especially when it just needed the tick of a box. Thank you all for your help. Now, I've got to go print out a few month's bank statements and do the same with my Quicken transactions and do things the "old fashioned way": pen, paper, check marks. :)
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for posting the resolution.
    As it turns out, your register was sorted incorrectly, most likely due to an inadvertent mouse click on a column header.
    Rereading the entire Q & A it appears to me that @Sherlock 's very first response to check and reset the Date sort order in your register was spot on.
    The rest was a wild goose chase.
    I'm glad you did figure it out and we can all stop now doing this:

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Randy, one of the features of Q, in all Q accounts is a Triangle in one of the Column header fields.
    This Triangle indicates which Column is currently the Sort Order for that account.  AND, it indicates in which direction the account is sorted. 
    Normally, you'd want the Triangle to be in the DATE column and pointing UP (meaning Oldest transaction on top and newest on the bottom)
    You can change the sort order in any account simply by clicking on that column header ... and you can change the direction of the sort by clicking on the same column header again.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Randy
    Randy Member ✭✭
    > @NotACPA said:
    > @Randy, one of the features of Q, in all Q accounts is a Triangle in one of the Column header fields.This Triangle indicates which Column is currently the Sort Order for that account.  AND, it indicates in which direction the account is sorted. 
    > Normally, you'd want the Triangle to be in the DATE column and pointing UP (meaning Oldest transaction on top and newest on the bottom)You can change the sort order in any account simply by clicking on that column header ... and you can change the direction of the sort by clicking on the same column header again.

Thank you, @NotACPA. Again, the problem wasn't the "sort order," it was the fact that once cleared, the transaction would disappear from the register. This was happening only in my primary checking account. My other two accounts didn't have this problem. Also, I agree with UKR that it was probably an inadvertent mouse click...or something. I'm just glad it got sorted, and I truly appreciate everyone here who helped. In nearly thirty years of using Quicken, I've not had to seek help, until now. I hope I don't have to again, but, if I do, am thankful to have this great "community" of helpful advisors. You're the best.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Randy said:
    Thank you, @NotACPA. Again, the problem wasn't the "sort order," ...
    I beg to differ.
    Randy said:
    ... FAST FORWARD>>>>>>> after clicking on several of the settings, I finally clicked sort "by date." VOILA - my cleared transactions returned to my register and the world is good again. ...
    Your solution indicates that sorting was exactly the problem.  When your register was sorted by Clr Status, the sequence would have become reconciled Transactions (Status = R), cleared tranactions (Status = c) and finally uncleared transactions (Status = blank).  Any cleared transactions would have been tossed into the sequence up higher in the register and likely out of view.  

Randy said:
    ... I suspect that, during the last update, that, somehow, my setting was changed to "by status", because, as I said, I barely even knew that icon was there, had not clicked on it...EVER, that I know of, and definitely didn't change it. ...  
    Changing the sort order does not require going through the cog-gear icon.  All you have to do is click on the header of the column.  That can be a very inadvertent click.  

Randy said:
    ... Which now begs even more questions: Why have register options in the "EDIT" menu; why set ALL DATES - ANY TYPE - ALL TRANSACTIONS, if that's not what you'll get if you change something somewhere else, and; why make it so complicated with preferences in two different places (one so obscure) and one not speaking with the other. ...
    Register options in the Edit Preferences menu are global options as user specified defaults applicable to all registers.  None of those options are applicable to the issue you were having trouble with here.  

You've given no evidence that your "change something somewhere else" altered the All Dates, Any Type, All Transactions selections.  I don't believe your changing of the sort order had any such impact.  

And I've also seen no evidence that preferences in two different places were "not speaking" to each other. 

Congratulations on getting back to where you wanted to be.  Good luck finding the missing $600.  
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    q_lurker said:
    Your solution indicates that sorting was exactly the problem.  When your register was sorted by Clr Status, the sequence would have become reconciled Transactions (Status = R), cleared tranactions (Status = c) and finally uncleared transactions (Status = blank).  Any cleared transactions would have been tossed into the sequence up higher in the register and likely out of view. 
    Randy said:
    ... I suspect that, during the last update, that, somehow, my setting was changed to "by status"
    Hey, @q_lurker, I agree with everything you say except for one fine point:  Sort by Cleared is different from Sort by Status. They will have similar, but not necessarily identical, results. Status is the first column with the blue dot in its header.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Rocket J Squirrel  Thanks for the clarification.  I had read too quickly over that distinction.  Further to that point, if I am not mistaken, "Status" only applies to download-enabled registers.  

Whereas I had explained what would happen with a 'cleared' transaction if the sort order was "by Cleared" (Clr state), I am not specifically clear on how the "Status" column state would sort.  (Note I do not have downloaded transactions automatically enter into the register.  If I did that, I think their blue-dot status would apply in the sorting.)

Again, thanks for the clarification.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Status column sorts by statuses like "Sent", "To send", and "Uncleared". A nice feature of that column is that if you widen it, those words appear next to the pencil and envelope icons (which I can never remember what they mean). I also do not allow transactions to auto-enter, I accept them individually.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

This discussion has been closed.