Bank of America Asking for Authentication

Bank of America has 2 issues with Quicken 2019 (R22.17) 27.1.22.17). Keeps asking for authentication SMS numbers which I provide. Doesn't text any codes. Sometimes downloads (I have one checking and 2 credit cards) sometimes - mainly the checking account - does not. This has been problematic for a while. I have a 20 year old account FYI and am not interested in starting with a new account.

Comments

• Quicken_TykaQuicken_Tyka Moderator ✭✭✭✭
    Hello figsys,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community, although I apologize that you haven't received a response.

What connection type are you using in Quicken? To find out, see the steps below.

Choose the Tools menu in the upper left then select Account List. Click Edit next to your account, then choose the Online Services tab at the top.

How are you updating transactions? Are you using a One-Step Update?

If you do, can you try selecting the checking account and selecting the gear to the right and choosing "Update Now"

Do you receive a code using this method?

Let me know!

-quicken Tyka
    -Quicken Tyka
  • figsysfigsys Member ✭✭
    I did it using "Update Now"; was asked for phone number but never received it. Did not receive a code using this method.
  • Quicken SarahQuicken Sarah Administrator, Moderator ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @figsys

Thank you for that additional information, although I apologize that you have not yet received a follow-up response.

If you haven't already, I would like to test the connection in your current data file by creating a new data, strictly for testing purposes only.

Please go to the File menu > New Quicken File and follow the prompts to name the file and sign-in to your Quicken ID.  

When the Add Account window opens, please attempt to add the Bank of America checking account.

Do you receive the prompt for the SMS authentication?
    If so, is a code received successfully?

If not, please return to your original data file (the testing file can be deleted if you wish) and follow the steps here, to download a new financial institution list and update the branding and profile information for each institution.

Once refreshed, please attempt to update the Bank of America accounts through the "Update Now" button and let us know how it goes.

Thank you,

Sarah
  • figsysfigsys Member ✭✭
    When I created a New Quicken File, I received the prompt for SMS and code was received correctly.

I did all the steps "here" (even though the problem accounts I have use Web Connect and not Direct Connect for Bank of America but I did both steps anyway) and the problem persists - keeps asking me for SMS Number but never sends the SMS.

Please advise.
  • Rocket J SquirrelRocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are a long-time B of A user and have used Direct Connect in the past to connect these accounts, you should still be able to establish Direct Connect.
    People in that situation are "grandfathered" in. No new customers or even old customers with new accounts get Direct Connect.
    So maybe try to re-establish Direct Connect. You should at least be able to use Express Web Connect versus Web Connect.
    If you still can't get a code via SMS text, you'll have to contact B of A.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win7 Pro & Win10 Pro.
  • figsysfigsys Member ✭✭
    > @Rocket J Squirrel said:
    > If you are a long-time B of A user and have used Direct Connect in the past to connect these accounts, you should still be able to establish Direct Connect.People in that situation are "grandfathered" in. No new customers or even old customers with new accounts get Direct Connect.So maybe try to re-establish Direct Connect. You should at least be able to use Express Web Connect versus Web Connect.If you still can't get a code via SMS text, you'll have to contact B of A.

How do you establish Direct Connect? I am a long time BOA customer.
    Express Connect (download QFX file etc) works but obviously not preferred.
    I do get the SMS texts from Bank of America but only when in New Quicken File. Something is corrupted in my Quicken File re Bank of America and I am looking for Quicken (the company) to fix this.
  • figsysfigsys Member ✭✭
    edited November 2
    Still not working and I am missing downloads from some of the BOA accounts. Now I'm getting the following error: "Quicken is unable to update your account. This may be because your account was closed, or its nickname was changed."

(Removed-Violation of Community Guidelines)
  • nhaluschaknhaluschak Member
    edited November 8
    I have 2 credit cards from the same bank. One is several years old and downloads to Quicken without a problem. The other is less than a year old and I can't get an account setup for automatic download. I've tried many suggestions that I've seen online. When I try to "Add Account", I enter my username and password. It then asks me how I want to receive my one time code. I never get the code because the process ends with an error saying Quicken could not connect and that it's not my fault. ????? I can manually download transactions from the bank and import them into Quicken.
  • splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Which credit card company?
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW 2015, 2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• mikemike Member ✭✭
    Have been using Quicken to download transactions from my Bank of America accounts (using the code delivered by text) successfully for a few months. Today after the clicking the "update now" button and getting the Quicken account access screen asking how would you like to receive your code, I click text message. Instead of getting the code via text it looks like Quicken starts to try and access my accounts. The following message then shows in the one step update summary - "cc506 Quicken is unable to update your account. This may be because the account was closed, or its nickname was changed."

Everything was fine till today. What is causing this problem? I'm using Quicken 2020, version R23.14, and build 27.1.23.14. This needs to be fixed immediately!!
    Bank of America
  • Good Ol DanGood Ol Dan Member ✭✭
    Me too... started happening immediately after the most recent Quicken update "push" to build 27.1.23.14. One-step update error CC-800: "Quicken can't update your accounts because they can't be found at Bank of America". Already tried resetting and then deactivating/reactivating.
  • ps56kps56k SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    EDIT - updated topic title to better reflect the Q&A -
    Quicken 2020 Deluxe - Subscription - Windows 10
  • Me too, same story.

One-step update error CC-800: "Quicken can't update your accounts because they can't be found at Bank of America". Already tried resetting and then deactivating/reactivating.

Also, the prompt to enter a "Captcha" style code is new. Maybe Bank of America is messing around with stuff?
  • Quicken_TykaQuicken_Tyka Moderator ✭✭✭✭
    Hello nhaluschak,

Thank you for providing the name of the financial institution.

I would like to test the connection in your current data file by creating a new data, strictly for testing purposes only.

Please go to the File menu > New Quicken File and follow the prompts to name the file and sign-in to your Quicken ID.  

When the Add Account window opens, please attempt to add the Bank of America checking account.

Do you receive the prompt for the SMS authentication?
    If so, is a code received successfully?

If not, please return to your original data file (the testing file can be deleted if you wish) and follow the steps here, to download a new financial institution list and update the branding and profile information for each institution.

Once refreshed, please attempt to update the Bank of America accounts through the "Update Now" button and let us know how it goes.

Thank you,
    -Quicken Tyka
    -Quicken Tyka
    BTW, I'm having trouble with a BofA credit card, not checking. I tried creating a new Quicken file. Didn't work. I tried downloading a new financial institution list. Did not solve problem. Tried Rebranding & Profile. Did not solve problem.
  • figsysfigsys Member ✭✭
    Still not working and I am missing downloads from some of the BOA accounts. Now I'm getting the following error: "Quicken is unable to update your account. This may be because your account was closed, or its nickname was changed."

Quicken, are you there?
  • Good Ol DanGood Ol Dan Member ✭✭
    Worked with Quicken "Premium Support" on the phone for an hour or so yesterday. Did a lot of testing with me sharing my screen, trying to reconnect BofA credit card account, etc. No joy. They are aware this is affecting many users and a case is now open... no ETA given for resolution.
  • TrainLGBTrainLGB Member ✭✭
    Hello...I'm have the same problem, but slightly different. when I attempt to use "One Step" to download my transaction BOA response by asking where the validation number should go, text to mobile pone or email , no mater which on I select the screen that shows the status of the operation with out giving me a chance to check my email or lesson to my phone. It also doesn't post a place where I could place my validation number even if BOA had sent one. This only started after the last update. Is there a way to fall back to the previous version. It worked with that one.
  • I recently added 2-factor authentication to my B of America accounts. I deactivated the accounts in Quicken and then reactivated them. Every time I download transactions, it gives me an error and says retry before asking me for the authentication code. Transactions then download. Today, 11/10/19, I accepted to Quicken update. Now it gives me an error code and will not continue with the 2-factor authentication process. Anyone having the same problem?
  • redstone711 .redstone711 . Member ✭✭
    edited November 11
    I'm having the same issue with not being able to receive the authentication code. I have tried deactivate/reactivate my checking and credit card with Bank of America. I have followed the step-by-step recommended solution as outlined by Quicken support person - Quicken Sarah. I cannot reactivate my checking account or receive the authentication code.
    I talked to customer support two days and ago and they opened a problem ticket T1IN-7150815 and said the problem would be escalated to technical support.
    Note: I did not have any problems until I applied the R23.14 build 27.1.23.4 update.
  • larrylarry Member ✭✭
    Select Tools/One Step Update. Select account to update and put in password. Select update now. Popup box states Bank of America requires that you enter more information in order to connect. How would you like to receive your code? I select Text Message and click "OK".

The funny thing is, I never get a text message and any transactions pending are subsequently downloaded from my BofA account per the usual Update process immediately after clicking "OK". This happens EVERY time I update my account regardless of whether there are transactions pending or not.

I have also tried selecting email message for which I get the same result.