Home Quicken for Windows Download, Add/Update Accounts (Windows)

One Step Update issues due to to 2 Factor Auth failure - QWin (updated title)

Comments

• Every time I download transactions from Sunmark FCU, it asks me to verify my account via text message pin. This started about 1-2 weeks ago. Any resolution?
  • Quicken Windows Deluxe 2020, version R23.14, build 27.1.23.14. Windows 7 OS.
  • jack.kolesarjack.kolesar Member ✭✭
    Glad I'm not the only one. It's as if Quicken is not storing the authentication cookie for webconnect. What does it take to get somebody from Quicken to chime in?
  • MintUserNewMintUserNew Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    My bank, Allegacy Federal Credit Union, is now requiring 2-factor authentication during every Quicken One-Step download. I spoke to customer service and they said they implemted it because of fraud at Quicken within the last few weeks. Anyone aware of what this fraud at Quicken is? It's a real pain for me to have to do a 2-factor authentication during a One-Step download for just one bank.
  • Tom YoungTom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a user to user group so I don't think anybody can answer your direct question.  It's not uncommon however for customer service folks at financial institutions to blame Quicken for problems, fairly or not.
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did the bank send you an email or even regular mail regarding this change, with instructions or a link to a special webpage on when to change and what to do?
    Banks want to keep their systems secure from unauthorized access and many banks have recently made changes to that effect. To do so, they use varying methods, including special passwords or PINs, two-factor authentication, etc.
    I think your Credit Union should be congratulated for making the step up to Direct Connect.
    And I'm glad to hear that you were able to resolve this download issue.
  • Melman1Melman1 Member ✭✭
    I don't recall any communication from the credit union, but I suppose it's possible. Seems like their tech person should have been able to recognize my issue and suggest using Direct Connect.
  • Mary133Mary133 Member ✭✭
    This started happening to me with New England Federal Credit Union. I asked the bank and this is what they told me:

A change was made during our most recent NEFCUOnline update, that for user security, a verification code is required to update Quicken/Quickbooks each time you log in.

This change was made in collaboration with Intuit, who owns Quicken and Quickbooks. This is a change that we have been told is not likely to change.

What a PAIN.
  • Dwight100Dwight100 Member ✭✭
    I just found this thread although I have been having this issue (having to enter DCU emailed one-time pass code daily) for about three weeks. I will be following to see if anyone finds a solution.
  • AJIMAJIM Member
    Same problem here - will follow to see if anyone finds a solution.
  • Hello K109,

Thank you for bringing this issue to the attention of the Community, although I apologize for any frustration you may be experiencing. 

To clarify, although many financial institutions are updating their security protocols as of late, multi-factor authentication is not a feature being implemented by Quicken as a requirement to automatically download your transactions into the program. 

Whenever additional authentication is requested, the financial institution is the entity requiring the 2FA. Therefore, any questions or issues regarding this feature would need to be directed to your financial institution(s). 

Please see the information outlined here for more details. 

Hope this helps!

-Quicken Natalie 

• ps56kps56k SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quicken_Natalie said:
    Whenever additional authentication is requested, the financial institution is the entity requiring the 2FA. Therefore, any questions or issues regarding this feature would need to be directed to your financial institution(s).
    I think the basic question is - will Quicken support those FI that have started instituting 2FA and have some method within the Quicken DC protocol to help respond to the 2FA requests while using the Quicken product and OSU for transaction downloads -
    Otherwise, as more and more FI require 2FA for access, the Quicken OSU will become useless to users...
    Quicken 2020 Deluxe - Subscription - Windows 10
  • OcucoraOcucora Member
    One suggestion - complain to DCU. When I worked for a financial company and we just introduced multifactor authentication it affected everyone using Quicken or Mint. At first we have ignored this problem. But once users started to complain the business decided that company need to work with Quicken in order to implement proper sync support. Doesn't matter if this is a Quicken or DCU problem, they need to talk to each other in order to solve it.
  • JTSJTS Member ✭✭
    > @Ocucora said:
    > One suggestion - complain to DCU. When I worked for a financial company and we just introduced multifactor authentication it affected everyone using Quicken or Mint. At first we have ignored this problem. But once users started to complain the business decided that company need to work with Quicken in order to implement proper sync support. Doesn't matter if this is a Quicken or DCU problem, they need to talk to each other in order to solve it.

Ditto, we all know the solution is not going to be found on the desktop. I am convinced DCU is the culprit, I mean the one time pass codes work for everyone else. I just don't feel like going though the hassle of escalating this, which whoever calls will have to do. Insist they escalate, don't take no for an answer.
  • Bob FitzgibbonBob Fitzgibbon Member
    edited November 2019
    I have 2 banks that request a confirmation via text to update, but when updating just that account the window to enter the response disappears before the value can be entered and the accounts remain out of date since the update never finishes to the transactions since the validation is not entered. When I do I complete (all accounts) update, I can get the responses in for both accounts, but the accounts still don't update with the latest transactions. How do I solve this dilemma?
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What version, edition level and release of Quicken are you using? 
    Click Help / About Quicken (Mac: Quicken / About Quicken) to get this information.

Try the "Update Now" from the account register's Action gear icon.
    If One Step Update won't let you enter responses you may have to do that from now on for every bank that requires extra prompts.

• I am at version 2020, R23.14, 27.1.23.14.
    When I use the one-step update I have the time to enter the responses, however the transactions are not downloaded. If I use the register's action gear to update, I have no time to respond the response box simply disappears and is replaced with the update status window - which indicates the account was updated but does not have the latest transactions downloaded.
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

If you haven't done so already, I'd say it's time to call Quicken Support on the phone and request help.  Let them do a screen share session with you to review the situation and a download log file on your computer, to determine the nature of the problem and to figure out how to fix it.

Quicken Support:

• To contact Quicken Support, please use this link only:
      https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support  and select Chat or Phone support.
      Phone support is only available during posted business hours. The phone number can found at this website.
    • If you are eligible for Premium Support (purchased separately or included as part of your subscription to Quicken 2018+ Premier or HB&R) call the number that can be found at the top of your My Account page at https://www.quicken.com/my-account  (US) or https://www.quicken.com/canada/my-account (Canada) next to "Quicken Premium Support"  when you log in with your Quicken ID.
    • To start Chat, your browser must allow popup windows from https://www.quicken.com
    • Other links or phone numbers found elsewhere on the Internet, even in some posts or emails received from other Community members, may not be from Quicken or may not be up-to-date. Use those at your own risk.
    • Unlike other so-called "Quicken support providers", the real Quicken Support is free for all currently supported versions.

• Same issue - disappointing DCU can't decide what they want to be
  • It appears someone has corrected the issue. I was not asked for a one-time pass code --- THANKS anonymous person :)
  • prattypratty Member
    I am still getting prompts to request access code to connect DCU account. It has to again connect with access code if browser is closed.
    Also there is problem with Comenity.
  • clr30clr30 Member
    Same for Citi and Kohls. Quicken needs to have an option to remember the device so that it remembers the browser verification.
  • Since the last update 27.1.23.14, my credit union will not download my information with two-step authentication (not required before). My brokerage accounts all download fine. I have 2 listed accounts (1 has 4 sub accounts) at Neighbors Credit Union, and would like to solve this problem. I have reset the accounts and have deactivated and re-activate one step update. Has anyone resolved this problem.
  • I am in the same boat with you. So very annoying to request a one-time code every time I want to check my credit union checking account activity.
  • Rick7Rick7 Member ✭✭
    Me too... also with a credit union. Most annoying.
  • I'm having the same issue. Is there a solution or work around? Very annoyed!!
  • Timothy WaiteTimothy Waite Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    I was incorrect - the issue remains (removed)
  • Quicken_TykaQuicken_Tyka Moderator mod
    Hello all,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to post your question, although I apologize for any concern that this change to a 2-factor authentication has caused.

In regards to why a financial institution may move to an MFA protocol.

As a defense against phishing attacks and other online scams, the Federal Financial Institutions Examination Council (FFIEC) has released guidelines that required financial institutions to strengthen their customer authentication measures for Internet banking transactions. As a result, many financial institutions are requiring identity verification beyond a customer ID and password when customers request online account access. This additional information is sometimes called multi-factor authentication, of MFA.

https://www.quicken.com/support/provide-additional-authentication-requested-my-financial-institution

If the financial institution has moved to require a 2 step verification to download transactions to Quicken, there is no action that Quicken can take to reverse this decision.

I hope this clarifies.
    -Quicken Tyka
    -Quicken Tyka
  • @Mikejsr65

I had the same issue and was able to resolve it with the following steps, with the help of Quickens Support

1. Backup your qucken file. File>Backup and Restore

2.Deactivate all the accounts from that bank. Tools>Accounts List. Click "edit" on each account. Go to Online Serivces Tab and click Deactivate. Do this for all accounts at the institution.

3. Click on File > File Operation > Validate Repair, check off Validate file and click OK

note: My repair did repair a few things, but nothing related to the account/institution in question.

4. Run an update on another institution (i just ran One step update and updated everything again)

5. Go back to the Account list, click Edit on the accounts you deactivated and on the right side delete the Financial Institution name and account number

6. Go to Tools > Online Center, make sure that bank is NOT listed in the drop down menu for financial institution

7. Restart Quicken

8. Go to Tools > Add Account and follow the prompts to sign in with your bank info.

Once signed in you will have a window to Add Link Ignore an account. Make sure they are set to Link on each account with the corresponding name already in Quicken.

It gave me approximately 2 MFA prompts, then allowed me to link an account. At the very end, i got some errors about cloud sync data, which i ignored for now.

9. in Tools> Account List you should now see each account listed as Yes (Express Web Connect again.

10. Update again (he reccomended doing it from the gear icon in the account register. I had already done another One Step Update).

No more issues.

For the cloud sync issues, i just hit Apply Now when it gave me a prompt to auto repair. And a subsequent cloud sync seemed to work.

I can now do One Step Updates, or Per Account updates without a 2fa prompt again.

Note: Im using Quicken versions below from Help>About Quicken

year 2020; Version R23.14. Build 27.1.23.14

I did this through chat support. try at your own risk. Though if you take a backup...you should be fine. I have a habit of taking abackup every time i open this program.
This discussion has been closed.